FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2014 10:36 PM  #1

Power brake booster actuator stud too short...

Hey Guys/Gals, started putting some stuff on the 66 coupe today after painting the underside. Happen to look at the master cylinder  to compare it to the power brake booster to see how much I would need to adjust the rod in order to engage the piston in the master cylinder. Car has drum spindles on front w 4 piston calipers, unsure of what the master cylinder is other than its 1" bore. Rear brakes are off 92 crown vic. Power brake booster is off the conversion sheets I got from Mustang Steve...maverick or something v6 I think. According to my measurements, I need a rod protruding 1-5/8" long in order to engage the piston in the master cylinder. I have about 1.25", and max out at 1-3/8" and run out of threads. My first thought is to stop at ace HW and get a longer bolt and grind the head down to a ball nut shape to match oriiginal. Anyone run into this before and am I on the right track or is there a better fix??
Thanks

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

1/13/2014 6:36 PM  #2

Re: Power brake booster actuator stud too short...

As it turns out, ACE HW has a grade-5 bolt thats just the right length!

1/13/2014 7:29 PM  #3

Hold on just a minute...  The rod should protrude from the booster exactly 1".  The master cylinder, if somethng from Ford vehicles, will not require more than 1" long rod.  They are either 1/2" or 1". 

Are you measuring from the mounting surface of the master cylinder flanges (correct) or from the end of the mc bore (incorrect)?  The measurement is from the mounting flange to the bottom of the hole.  You have to take two measurements and subtract one from the other to get the 1" dimension.  MEasure from the end of the MC to the bottom of the hole. (Dimension A)  Then measure from the mounting flange to the end of the mc (Dimension B).  Subtract B from A to get the rod protrusion requirement.

If you have some really weird master cylinder, I have some slugs that you could put in there and cut to length.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/13/2014 8:41 PM  #4

I'm measuring from the flange to the bottom of the bore touching the back side of the piston, then subtracting the thickness of the flange (9/16") from the depth measurement (2.25") yes it seems excessivly deep. Mo idea what it came off but was new on the car when I got it. Has a 1" bore so I figured it would work and just got to looking it over to set the rod depth last night. Is a longer bolt not a good fix for this? Or if a slug would be better and you have one that would work better than the longer bolt I plan to use, please add it to the parts your sending my way. Didnt notice bold on. Got to hit that button in order to type anything lately?

Last edited by mainiac1 (1/13/2014 10:24 PM)

1/15/2014 10:45 PM  #5

Slug is in box with quadrant and springs, on the way Thurs.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.