FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2013 6:53 PM  #1

A/C Compressor on parts getter

I need to change the A/C Compressor on my parts getter 97 F150 because the clutch went out.  Can I change the compressor and drive the truck without damaging the compressor?  I will have to bring it somewhere to get the system checked for leaks and get it charged up.  It's a 20 mile trip to where I will have it worked on.  Wasn't sure if it would damage the compressor to drive it without the lines hooked up to bring it to get charged.  Thanks.

4/18/2013 7:30 PM  #2

Re: A/C Compressor on parts getter

If the compressor still has a charge, why not just change the clutch?  That takes a 4 hour job and turns it into a 20 minute job and costs a whole lot less.  A replacement clutch is only $105 at OReilly Auto Parts and you do not have to discharge/recharge the compressor to replace it.

Compressor only turns when the clutch is engaged electrically, so the pulley just freewheels while you are driving with the ac turned off.

To replace the ac clutch, just remove the belt and the center bolt in the clutch.  Then use a 5/8" coarse thread bolt in the threaded center hole.  The bolt will push the clutch off the compressor shaft.  Then unbolt the coil and install the new one.  Bolt the clutch pulley back onto the shaft and reinstall the belt.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/19/2013 7:07 AM  #3

I didn't realize it was that simple to change the clutch.  That's sounds like a much better idea than changing the whole thing.  Thanks for the advice.

4/21/2013 7:24 PM  #4

Thanks Steve.  I was able to get the clutch changed.   I've put about 20 miles on it already and so far so good.  Thanks again.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.