FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2013 12:57 PM  #1

J-kb (and anyone else) here are some Exploder axle codes..edited

Josh,
 Yep the one I'm most interested is an exploder D-5 = 3.55 track lock.
The exploder rears use 31 splined axles, where the Ranger pick up and Mustangs (up to 07??) use 28 splined axles. One of the reasons to use an 8.8 is that when using 31 spline axles, is within a gnats eyelash of being as strong as a Ford 9 in. A little plus is the difference in pinion to ring gear is reduced fritction compared to a 9 in. which equals a bit more mileage and less parasitic Hp loss, though admittedly it's not the extreme, though some times as much as 8%. Just a little Lagnappe.(google that)
Anywho Josh what I'd like to get is a H-7 or D-5.
Axle code is on the plastic info tag located in the pillar of the Exploder drivers door, by the latch. Note that track lock axles begin with a letter code, open axles all  are numbered.
the good ies are;
D-1  = 3.27
H-7  = 3.31
D-3  = 4.11
D-4, and H-6  = 3.75   with 3.75's being fairly common 
D-5  = 3.55

I already have 3.08  and 3.25 ring gear sets. What I'm looking for is an Exploder rear (95 or newer as they haave disc brakes, would be better) track lock either 3.31 or 3.55.
I almost think I'd rather have the 3.31 as I've proved that Miss May & a 3.55 can get a bit squirly, Nah either is good.

Good Hunting either way Josh
Corky

Last edited by Tubo (4/21/2013 1:02 PM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/21/2013 1:47 PM  #2

Re: J-kb (and anyone else) here are some Exploder axle codes..edited

My 8.8 currently has 4.30's in it, they are GREAT! I only use 16 Gallons of fuel in 35 minutes. I might try the 4.56's next. The high reving set-up in the Boss block is amazing!

4/21/2013 2:07 PM  #3

Corky, I have a spare 8.8, 3.55 gear set if the one I picked up in So Cal is good.  I'll know the answer to that in a month or two when I narrow it.  The bare gear set is good and could be installed in any LS 8.8 axle you find.  I could prolly be talked into a 3.55/3.25 swap. 

Just in case....

BB

PS:  You were probably correct.  It don't look like I can work fast enough to have the HT back on the road for the Bash.  I'm designing the HVAC system today.   Car will go to the body guy first week of May or so. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2013 2:18 PM  #4

Keep in mind most Explorer axles are wide than Ranger ones though.

4/21/2013 2:33 PM  #5

Corky................Roger that.

I'll keep looking for you and let you know.

I currently have an explorer rear with 3.73 LS and I plan to gather up a couple more.  I hope to take a look see when I can get back north of the red river.

Finding one for you might be just the reason for a FL special delivery road trip........

4/21/2013 3:13 PM  #6

My brother just put an Explorer rear end in his Jeep Cherokee XJ.  He lives in San Diego, and found one with 4:11 gears in an Eddie Bauer Explorer that was complete.  Regular price at the local pick and pull was $250, he got it on half price day.  Total $$$$ to convert was $215, including the spring perches and the combo 1310-1330 u joint.

i measured it before he installed it, I think it was 59 1/4" from hat to hat.

Last edited by CraigMBA (4/21/2013 7:44 PM)

4/21/2013 8:50 PM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Corky, I have a spare 8.8, 3.55 gear set if the one is good.....The bare gear set is good and could be installed in any LS 8.8 axle you find.  I could prolly be talked into a 3.55/3.25 swap. 
BB

PS:  You were probably correct.  It don't look like I can have the HT back.. ..... for the Bash.  I'm designing the HVAC system today.  

BB If'in ya got the 3.55 to swap things grt much easier for me & Jamie or j-kb to find...Ahh.BTW with the ring gear sets matters not wheather LS or Open, Right??

I could also use an acurate length dimension  between short & long exploder axles.

Corky

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.