FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2014 9:30 AM  #1

Autolite 4100 experts needed

Hi all.   I've got a issue with this 4100 (C4AF R, 1.12) on my car.   Car runs great with it, but I can't get the throttle to close completely.   It hangs open slightly, keeping my idle several hundred rpm higher than it what I set it at.  

There seems to be play in where the throttle shaft enters the large barrel with the spring around it.
The pic shows my helper spring to get the throttle to close and the video show the play I'm referring to.
Top 'pic' is the video.   Click on it to play.

So, the question is:   Is there something worn in the large barrel with the spring wrapped around it (for lack of a better term)?

1/19/2014 12:17 PM  #2

Re: Autolite 4100 experts needed

Looks like there is a fair amount of "gunk" on the main return spring on the driver's side.  As a rotating coil spring, any debris between coils adds friction and it may be just enough to keep it from closing fully.  However, the spring may also be worn with time.  Can't tell from the pics if your choke mechanism is clear.  Sometimes you can screw the fast idle screw in too far an it will keep the plates open but you can sometimes pull hard to twist it shut on the throttle side.  I would pull the choke heater cover off and verify that everything is free and not hanging - this will help to make sure that the fast idle cam is not sticking as well.

The bushings do indeed wear out and create a way for air to get in to mess with your mixture and idle speed but also can prevent the throttle plates from seating properly under normal spring pressure.  Address the outside issues and if it clears up leave it alone as long as it runs OK.  A professional rebuild will include new bushings where appropriate but this is well above a basic gasket kit.  But it may be a worthwhile investment if you plan to hang on to the car and the carb.  And a disclaimer - I am not a 4100 expert by any stretch.

1/19/2014 12:23 PM  #3

Thanks GP.   The gunk you see is white lithium spray on grease, hoping to free things up.    I'lll clean it up and try something else.

The choke is clear and the fast idle screw isn't even close.  I unscrewed it a ways to be certain it wasn't hanging it up.

Everything is working freely in the choke mechanisms.   I had the cover off and the piston is free and the bimetallic spring is not broke.   On a fully warmed up engine, the choke is perfectly vertical.  

1/19/2014 12:46 PM  #4

Ah, I can see the lithium now.  I've seen some corrosion that looks similar as well as a few bug's nests!  Sounds like you've been pretty thorough.  Looking from above or below, how do the throttle plates look - can you see a difference in where they seat when it hangs versus when it closes cleanly?  Is there a mechanical mechanism to force the secondaries closed?  Good luck.

1/19/2014 1:25 PM  #5

I have a 4100 sitting, in a box, out in the garage.  I went and checked it out.  The play in yours looks excessive and could well be responsible for binding the butterflieskeeping them from closing and allowing an airleak that would affect low speed idle.

As mentioned above, any competant carb man can bush those throttle shafts.

Last edited by boomyal (1/19/2014 1:47 PM)

1/19/2014 2:06 PM  #6

With your description of the play in the throttle shaft...sounds like you have a nice little vaccuum leak. The 4100 shafle bushings are famous for wear. My 4100 did exactly the same and would idle great while the engine was cold. But after a full warm up the idle would jump 200-400 rpm. The tolerances between the bushing and shaft would open up and suck air past. Take carb cleaner and spray the shaft and see if the idle changes any.

I had the main shaft bushings replaced on my 4100 and it made all the diffference. Idles perfect now.
The secondary usually dont need replacement...they dont wear as much.
Cost $50 at the local carb shop.

1/19/2014 4:17 PM  #7

When I bought this thing at a swap meet recently, I purposely  wiggled, every which way I could, the primary throttle shaft and it seemed fine.   This play I'm showing is rotationally (sp?).   

However, all good ideas here and I will check the butterflies when I play with the play again.  There could very well be play in the bushings.   With the helper spring on, the car idles nicely and consistently.  With the helper spring off, the car still idles nicely and consistently, but consistently about 300 rpm higher than I want.   
I'll report back with findings.

Thanks!

1/19/2014 4:42 PM  #8

gjz30075 wrote:

......  There could very well be play in the bushings........ 

There are no bushings, gjz. They just bored thru the body casting.  With a repair, they bore the holes larger and insert bushings.  I would be surprised if the bushings were not made out of more suitable bearing material that the material used in the body.

Additionally that C4AF R was made for a '64 big block 352.  You are bound to have issues running it on a 289/302.

Last edited by boomyal (1/19/2014 4:47 PM)

1/19/2014 4:57 PM  #9

Any chance the fast idle cam on the passenger side of the carb is keeping it from closing all the way?

Last edited by MustangSteve (1/19/2014 4:57 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/19/2014 5:00 PM  #10

Ah, got it.    Thanks.   The motor is a 331 with AFR 185 heads and an Air Gap.     This Autolite is heads above the Holley that I took off.   The reason I took it off was I just couldn't get rid of a 'tip in' stumble, no matter where the revs were, it surged badly on moderately hard acceleration and out of the box (reman from Holley), the accel pump leaked, the power valve leaked and there were metal shards floating around the bowls and would hang up the floats.      Also the engine always sounded like it had an exhaust leak but I never found one.  I tried everything to tune it, but I think it was cursed.

A simple rebuild on this Autolite with some jetting changes and already the engine is so much smoother, no hesitation anywhere and a real joy to drive.    

So long story short, I'm willing to fix the issues on this carb because I'm 95% ahead of the Holley.

MS, I backed off the fast idle screw alot to clear the cam so I think I'm good there.  I will check again.

Last edited by gjz30075 (1/19/2014 5:02 PM)

1/19/2014 6:00 PM  #11

gjz30075 wrote:

.....The motor is a 331 with AFR 185 heads and an Air Gap. .....

Yes, that definitely gets you in the range of the 1.12  4100.  289 HiPo's also used the 1.12 so tighten her up, and you will enjoy the typical reliability, economy and response of the 4100.  I could never understand why so many of these 4100's got removed and tossed in favor of more tempramental choices,  It is also a shame that Autolite (ford) never expanded their appeal to a broader audience,  Even today, there is no information that was ever published about the different flow values of the body castings or the lettered boosters.

1/19/2014 7:05 PM  #12

Hey boomyal...you are correct sir! The 4100 shafts run on the body material (aluminum) that did indeed wear. When rebushed, a brass or bronze inert is installed and reamed to size.

Also a great 4100 info site: Ed's Carburetor Forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/88781/

1/19/2014 10:00 PM  #13

www.carburetor-parts.com  is another good source for parts, how to vid's, etc

1/19/2014 10:49 PM  #14

ponch0v wrote:

Hey boomyal...you are correct sir! The 4100 shafts run on the body material (aluminum) that did indeed wear. When rebushed, a brass or bronze inert is installed and reamed to size.

Also a great 4100 info site: Ed's Carburetor Forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/88781/

That site used to be a whole lot better when a guy named Bill White ran it.  That is where I learned a lot of the ins and outs of the 4100.  It also used to be almost exclusively about Autolites.  IMHO ever since this Ed Jenkins took over, the site has gone down hill.  If you read a lot of his comments, his primary interest seems to be to sell you something.

Go back, on the site to the pages about 60 ish and back and you will see what I mean.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.