FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2014 9:58 PM  #1

Best way to start body work

Hey all,

I really need to get started on the body work of my car but every year I end up saying I don't have the money and I put it off another year and just drive the car as she is.  I'll manage to do a project here and there (right now I'm thinking the rear disc brakes) but I'm wodering if I should just suck it up and get started on the body work this year and commit to doing it.

What is the best way to start? 

Keep in mind I've never done it.

I figured I would start stripping stuff and spray with SPI epoxy after any needed repairs.  Then prep, paint, and assemble. 

If I do body, then I can't drive the car and I'll have to keep at it until I have the money for the needed good stuff for the car or nickle and dime it which I don't want to do.

Just killing some time here thinking about what I should do with the car over the summer.

Thanks.
Rich

1/22/2014 10:19 PM  #2

Re: Best way to start body work

The best advise I could give someone on ah budget is to do a "Rolling restoration" . Little bits here and there . Who cares if the cars in primer, DRIVE IT! In fact it's whats in style these days. The whole Rat Rod thing. And you'll get more respect from fellow car guy's who see your doing your own work. My point is If money's tight, and you take it off the road, it'll never get done. Life and money will almost alway's get in the way

It's hard to type "funny"

1/22/2014 10:36 PM  #3

Go out there one Saturday and scuff the entire car, mask it real carefully and paint the entire thing with a single good coat of flat black primer or hot rod black.  That way, you can take your time later and do one panel at a time, finishing the completed panel in flat black.  At least the entire car will match for the year it takes you to get it done one piece at a time.  You sacrifice one coat of black in order to have the entire car one color at all times.  Flat black hides defects, so you won't notice that much difference between the ratty parts and the perfect, completed parts.

Or do like Mr Tim, my friend Mike and I did to my 70 Mustang convertible many years ago.  The car was three different colors when I bought it.  I went to the paint store and bought 2 gallons of slightly different red enamels, then mixed the two together.  We sanded the car with 400, just enough to scuff it up.  Did not remove any emblems or chrome trim or anything else.  The car was painted and back on the road in EIGHT HOURS.  It was shiny red and all one color and, from 20 feet away, people thought it was a nice restored car.  What started out as my plan to just have it one color while I worked on it wound up lasting four years as a daily driver, then getting sold for a profit.  That paint job was great because I could drive the car anywhere without worrying about hurting the paint.  And it still looked pretty good.

Or, take it all apart and get to work, and be able to drive it again in two to three years, or maybe, like my recent F-100 fiasco, NEVER SEE IT TOGETHER AGAIN.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/23/2014 11:16 AM  #4

Derek and Steve just have you outstanding and valuable advice.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/23/2014 11:40 AM  #5

Depends on what you want the end result to be.  It's impossible to have a show car, or even a nice daily driver without taking the car apart.  If you don't want a perfect finish or a color change, do as Steve says and scuff it, (I would add that spraying a sealer before paint would be a wise move) and shoot it with a single state.  Your paint will only look as good as your masking care though.

If you start any bodywork,meaning bondo work you  have to remember that anything NOT professional grade that you topcoat it with will have to be sanded off later.  Most of the professional products (primer, epoxy, bondo, sealer) that you use to get a car ready to paint are not UV resistant.  That means you must paint within a window specified by the manufacturer or these products will turn to dust.  Also you simply can't 'handle' any of these finishes and expect to get the oils and debris off to paint it later.

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/23/2014 3:26 PM  #6

My car was way too far gone to drive, and like everyone in here is saying, it took me 4 years to get it marginally back on the road, and then another 1.5 years to get it reliable. And it still isn't done or completely painted. Looking back I could have kept it together and gotten everything done quickly. Once it is in 1000 pieces, there are just soo many "while I am at it" projects to stop you from assembly.

If you can avoid taking it off the road, don't do it. It will just take up your garage while it sleeps in pieces.
BobN

1/23/2014 4:00 PM  #7

If its a fastback I would take all the chrome off, lights and trim and take it to a professional that you know and trust and have it done right. 

Steve69

1/23/2014 10:17 PM  #8

nope.  my car isn't a fastback.. its not a show car its a driver and when I have it out, I drive it hard.

I have some info and pictures of my car here http://budgetrestomod.weebly.com/index.html

I think I will get the rear discs done this spring and a new radiator and schroud for this summer. 

I'm really tempted to just pull off the front end and do the cowl repairs needed.. then strip and SPI epoxy prime all of the front end parts.. But then if I put the windsheild back in after, I should also put in a new head liner.. which means pulling the back window.. and so on.  Its going to snow ball into a huge project.  I'm not sure I'm up for that right now.. but I could just keep it SPI Epoxy and work from front to back of the car and keep the car on the road.     HMMMMM.. such a tough call.

1/23/2014 10:56 PM  #9

rmousir wrote:

nope.  my car isn't a fastback.. its not a show car its a driver and when I have it out, I drive it hard.

I have some info and pictures of my car here http://budgetrestomod.weebly.com/index.html

I think I will get the rear discs done this spring and a new radiator and schroud for this summer. 

I'm really tempted to just pull off the front end and do the cowl repairs needed.. then strip and SPI epoxy prime all of the front end parts.. But then if I put the windsheild back in after, I should also put in a new head liner.. which means pulling the back window.. and so on.  Its going to snow ball into a huge project.  I'm not sure I'm up for that right now.. but I could just keep it SPI Epoxy and work from front to back of the car and keep the car on the road.     HMMMMM.. such a tough call.

I bought mine as a 6cyl car with a decent shiny red paint job with the plan to convert it to a V8 and then make the body perfect. Ten years later its a V8 5spd with the same decent 20footer body and several 2nd place trophies from local car shows.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.