FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2014 6:53 PM  #1

Price for '59 Ranchero rearend

I have an opportunity to buy a 9" big bearing rearend out of a '59 Ranchero. My intention is to put it in my 65 coupe eventually. My question is how much should I pay? Guy wants $350, I think he knows what he has. Is that too much?

1/26/2014 11:36 PM  #2

Re: Price for '59 Ranchero rearend

RyanS wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a 9" big bearing rearend out of a '59 Ranchero. My intention is to put it in my 65 coupe eventually. My question is how much should I pay? Guy wants $350, I think he knows what he has. Is that too much?

Sounds like a good deal from here.  Those would have come with a ~3.27-3.78 ratio, I think.  Pretty good for an OD trans.  Just make sure it works and is not obviously bent  or sprung.  Normally, you would pay that much for just the center section.  And wonders be.  It will bolt right in, you may have to do something with the rear u-joint though.  See Ultrastang's site for particulars.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/27/2014 6:36 AM  #3

Re: Price for '59 Ranchero rearend

That's about right.  I paid 400 for mine and had to go through it with new bearings, went from a 3.1 to a 3.7 gear and installed a rebuilt trac loc.  I have about 1200 or $1300 in it before putting any brakes on it.  I'm thinking that all said and done it would be much cheaper and nearly as strong to go with the explorer 8.8 with disc brakes- have the long side shortened and install.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.