FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2014 7:16 AM  #1

Non Mustang related.. Do you think I trashed the engine on wifes van?

I'm now making my mustang a daily driver, because wifes van overheated, and she is now driving my normal daily driver - just to make this mustang related.

miniVan overheated, temp gauge WAY above H.  no fluid on the ground, could not get cap off radiator. no check engine light, both front fans did not come on.  white smoke from under hood. Oil level was full and normal color. It overheated 10 miles from home.

Let it sit for 30 mins. temp came down.  Started van, and drove about 1 mile, then temp pegged past H again. White smoke under hood for a few minutes. Shut van off, let sit,  repeated this process one more time, but decided to drive it the last 8 miles straight home and ignored the temp gauge. I didn't see any smoke while driving, until I came to a stop sign, .

Did some research on internet about 2005 kia sedona overheating issues and found that the rear coolant lines rust out and all fluid leaks out the rear of the car, resulting in engine overheating, and usually warped or cracked heads and blown  head gasket.  too dark to validate this last night.  

If i drove this van for 10 miles with no antifreeze, temp gauge Way above H,  do you think i killed the engine?

Too cold to climb under van right now, and I don't have a garage. will have to wait for warmer weather.

After smoke cleared, noticed Top hose was hot, bottom hose was barely warm. I'm betting theres no antifreeze to leak out in the system.

way past warranty period. Have had the van since new. 104,000 miles.

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

1/22/2014 7:29 AM  #2

Re: Non Mustang related.. Do you think I trashed the engine on wifes van?

Awwwwwww Mark.....I don't think it will be good news.
You can go to Pep Boyz or some other place and have them check the coolant(even AFTER you refill it) to verify if the head gasket is blown. Probably is.
If so........you may have got the good out of it.
Daughter just bought a nice used Focus after her Saturn took a (final) dump. It did the same thing.  Part of the PLASTIC intake cracked and coolant return pipe let water leak out. After I fixed that...put Blue Devil in it and it lasted another year.
Plenty of good used "kid-haulers" out there...and at a decent price.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/22/2014 9:15 AM  #3

Well,  I suspect the engine was done before it got hot, unless it was leaking coolant on a hot exhaust pipe.

Pull plugs and look for that classic SMOOTH whitish color.   And smell em.  Burning antifreeze smell is unmistakeable....

If the plugs arent whitish, then do a compression test, then find your coolant leak.  If you can fix it, go for it.  Then hope for the best.   You may get lucky.  

Oh, and if you get this far, change the thermistat. 

Best of luck to you.

Minivans have a myriad (my word of the month for January)  or pipes and plastic junctions and diverter valve chambers and piping that can all spring a major leak.   So its still possible that this doesnt have to be fatal.   Finding what leaked where is key.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/22/2014 10:17 AM  #4

Id take it to a shop you trust and get an opinion.   Could be just the head gaskets.  How many miles is on it?   I have a 05 venture and is known for bad head and intake gaskets.  I had the intake gaskets replaced under warranty at 120K.  I have a 150K on it with no problems.   If it has lower miles it and you can get by with head gaskets it might be cheaper to fix it than buy a different ride.

Steve69

1/22/2014 1:08 PM  #5

Mom had a simular issue about 2 years ago on her Windstar. Warped head cost about $1200 to fix. The van was in deseant shape, thats why she decide to fix it. Alot cheeper than new and you don't always know what you get used. Van is still running. I guess alot depends what shape your van is in. How much is the van worth fixed and how much it cost to fix it right.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/23/2014 6:50 AM  #6

Last night I was able to get the radiator cap off and looked inside. The cap is on the driver side of vehicle.  I wanted to see if I could find a leak, so I got the hose and started to put water in it. ( didn't want to use antifreeze at this point).  As soon as I put water in the radiator, it was leaking out from the top of the tank on the opposite side ( passenger side). I honestly was hoping that it would fill up and leak in the rear where those rear coolant lines are.  Also noticed the tank, where it was leaking, had a white creamy paste like substance all around that area and other components in front of the tank. The reservoir tank was completely full.

1/23/2014 7:56 AM  #7

Old school check for water in the oil, if the oils milky looking you most likely have a blown head gasket.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

1/23/2014 11:12 AM  #8

The head gasket is probably blown, minimum but your head is probably warped too.  If the car will start and run normally for a couple of minutes, you may be in luck.  You should have it towed to the shop, though.  It's not going to last another trip to drive it.

We did that once (broken radiator)  and were able to pull the head (aluminum) and have it resurfaced, new gasket and all was well.

I love my torque wrench. Deal with it.

1/23/2014 7:12 PM  #9

Sorry to hear the news.  Sounds serious.

I manage the fleet at work.  Over the past 20+ years, we have had 2 engine failures when out of manufacturer's warranty.  Our trusted mechanic installed used engines in both instances in the $1500 to $1800 range, and provided 90 day warranties.  He said he knew where to purchase good used engines, and both cars lasted many more years without issues.  You could easily spend $2000 patching up the engine that's in there, and still not get it right....

BTW, neither failure was a Ford.

1/27/2014 9:49 PM  #10

update:  It only took 3 full days of working and cursing, but I finally got the radiator out.  what a major PITA.  They don't make these cars to work on them at all.  I got a new radiator from autozone for about 100, 3 new hoses, and new thermostat and antifreeze another 140. and i just started it up tonight, and it started right up, and it took several minutes before it move from the C mark to a bit shy of the half mark. Didn't overheat at all, and no smoke.  I didn't see any more leaks. so it must have all come out the radiator.    I did notice that the fans don't come on. not sure when they are supposed to come on. Can only get the relays at the dealer. I will check it again tomorrow during our snow storm. Oil seemed fine and not milky.  When I took it apart, not a drop of antifreeze in the system at all.I am going to take to shop and have them bypass the rear heater, since it seems to be common place for those to rot out and cause a leak. I drove this car for at least 10 miles with no antifreeze and car still runs. i can't believe that.   I priced the heads for this car, and they are 1600 EACH, dual camshafts in each head,  and the engine has to be lifted out of the car half way to replace the timing belt. wow.... 

Dealer would have to charge at leat $1000 to change out a radiator. Unbelievable what has to be done to get that out. Air shroud plenum above the radiator support, the entire air cleaner filter box, air hose to intake plenums and clamps,  both horns, upper radiator metal support cover, remove brackets that hold down ac lines on frame, power steering cooler, oil cooler is bolted to radiator, ac condensor is bolted to radiator, ac drier lines run from front of radiator and over the radiator preventing it from being lifted out,  two fan assemblies, hood latch mechanism, hood latch brace, upper radiator hose pipe,  thermostat wiring harness, thermostat housing, undercarriage brush guard. Over 60 bolts!!     Dealer recommends removing the ac system first, and then removing the radiator with the fans and condensor attached to radiator.  I see why they say that,  its IMPOSSIBLE to get to the bolts that hold them on. I had to leave off a few bolts because there is NO way to get them back on without removing the entire ac system. 

1/27/2014 11:27 PM  #11

Sounds like your determination has paid off, so far.  It's often summer heat that stresses the cooling system.  Somewhere, you should be able to find the trigger temp for those fans, and you should be able to find the sensor.  Get yourself one of those cheap HF infrared thermometers, and monitor the temp at idle, and after a long drive.  I have a V6 bowtie and an old accord that almost never see the fans running.  They can both sit in the drive and idle for 20 minutes, and no fan, even in the summer.  Can you put 12volts to those fans to see if they spin?  At least you'll know if you have fan failure or fan control failure....

1/28/2014 5:11 AM  #12

Glad to see you are getting it working with out too much expence. These cars today are a bear to work on. I remember when I had my Ranger had to replace the heater core at about 160000 miles. I swore up and down Ford put a hearer core on the assembly line then built the truck around it.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/28/2014 6:17 AM  #13

wsinsle wrote:

I remember when I had my Ranger had to replace the heater core at about 160000 miles. I swore up and down Ford put a hearer core on the assembly line then built the truck around it.

Odd how they do these things.  On my 1984 Bronco II, the heater core was a 15 minute job tops.  Disconnect the heater hoses under the hood,  two or three screws under the glove box to remove the bottom of the air box, and the core slips right out of the air box. 

John

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.