FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2014 6:46 AM  #1

Power Steering Upgrade

Looking to add the Borgeson Power Steering Kit to the 66 Coupe. I know some of you have installed it. Just wondering if you were pleased with the results. It looks like they did an upgrade, where the don't require a double pulley on the fan. They just use lower double pulley on crank. One less thing to get. Also, I have MS clutch cable set up, with the first (shorter) cable. Should I switch out and put longer cable in, or just leave well enough alone. I have 289, with hi po exhaust manifolds, and 5 speed. Let me know what you all think. THANKS..

1/24/2014 10:33 AM  #2

Re: Power Steering Upgrade

If the short cable is living OK and did not have to have any excessive bends to install it, I would leave it alone.  If you do install the longer cable, it will clear everything perfectly with those manifolds.  Pic shows a 66 with 289 and the Hipo exhaust manifolds, with the CK-165 cable clutch kit installed, with the longer cable.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/24/2014 11:00 AM  #3

I am just going to throw this out there....

I know it is my fault, but I followed the directions Borgesson provided when I installed the box. My steering wheel and shafe came out of the rag joint while I was on the freeway during rush hour just outside of down town a couple of weeks ago.

I went across five lanes of traffic and lightly bumped the concrete barrier without hitting another car or damaging anything other than my ego.

When/if you install the steering, drill a hole part way through the shaft so that the set screw can firmly hald it in place.

Otherwise it is a great solution.
BobN

1/24/2014 1:25 PM  #4

BoobN thats a scary thought!! glad it worked out for the best!!

1/24/2014 6:26 PM  #5

Well, just ordered one, I'll let you all know how it comes out. Need a new project for the winter.

1/24/2014 8:51 PM  #6

Did you tell Borgeson about that little problem?  I bet you would have some of them at least having to clean out their chair...

Not having owned one, what did the instructions say to do?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/24/2014 8:58 PM  #7

Install complete rag joint #052534 to steering box and secure with setscrew then lock nut, be sure that rag joint is fully installed on the steering box shaft. (Do not stop at the groove in the shaft. Fully install the shaft 1” into the rag joint) Install the new floor mount using the three existing holes in the floor and three screws. Insert #990040 replacement column shaft into the new rag joint. Secure column shaft with setscrew then lock nut. 

1/25/2014 9:21 AM  #8

I don't have a Borgeson box but have a different brand. I haven't been out at the car for a while but if memory servers me correct, I drilled and put a roll pin in my rag joint. Gonna go out and recheck it. Like Terry said that's a scary thought. Anyway thanks for sharing that Bob, it may help some one.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/25/2014 9:29 AM  #9

I did one steering update that had the shaft retention problem so I drilled through coupling and shaft for a through pin that I tack welded in place. The shafts were the double D so the pin only held it together and did not supply the torque.

1/26/2014 12:29 PM  #10

I have one for  our HT, Jim.  I installed it an drove it about  five miles before tearing the car down for body work.  It is very positive and, of course, totally without the wander of the stock PS system.  It also requires a bit more arm than the stock system but then I'm using the 5.0 pump and that might make a difference.
As I only  got about 5 miles  on it,  I don't know  if it will get better but new it doesn't want to retrun to center on it's own.  When I put the car back together I plan to add  as much caster as I can and I also found (thanks  to Josh K-B) an OEM power steering idler arm.  Between the caster and the pre-loaded idler arm I'm hoping it will return to center.

Gut feeling...I think I'm gonna like it just fine.  Better yet, I think Mrs. BB will like it.  She hated the loose feel at the center with the stock PS.

Good luck,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/26/2014 12:36 PM  #11

BobN wrote:

I am just going to throw this out there....

I know it is my fault, but I followed the directions Borgesson provided when I installed the box. My steering wheel and shafe came out of the rag joint while I was on the freeway during rush hour just outside of down town a couple of weeks ago.

BobN

BobN
Glad nobody got hurt and  the car survived.  You say the modified steering shaft came out of the upper rag-joint half?  Wanted to get that straight.  I'm using a 68 column so it shouldn't be a problem but you can believe I'll be makin' sure when the car goes back together.

And, I also would let Borg know what happened.  Might save someone's life.

Thanks.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/27/2014 1:54 PM  #12

Yes, it was the modified upper shaft that came out. I was able to play with it and stab it back in place enough to get home and do a propper repair. (That was the scariest ride home I have ever done.)

Like was quoted earlier, the instructions say to tighten the set screw and jam nut. That's it. When I took it apart for the repair, the set screw had backed off - I had an oil leak from the mid-block dipstick hole that had sprayed down the area - but there was a clear indention in the splines where the set screw had bitten into the shaft. I know from that mark I had tightened it when it was installed.

I drilled a 5/16" hole about 1/4" deep into the shaft the exact size of the set screw and really ran it in along with some locktite blue on the threads. I checked and the lower portion of the rag joint was still tight and had not backed off for some reason (locktite added, but I didn't remove it to drill).

Even with this excitement, I love the feel of the steering and I love the fact that there are not a dozen places it could develop a leak in the future. And, with the power brakes in the way, it is impossible to notice unless you really dive in there to look around.
BobN

1/27/2014 3:50 PM  #13

BobN wrote:

Yes, it was the modified upper shaft that came out. I was able to play with it and stab it back in place enough to get home and do a propper repair. (That was the scariest ride home I have ever done.)

Like was quoted earlier, the instructions say to tighten the set screw and jam nut. That's it. When I took it apart for the repair, the set screw had backed off - I had an oil leak from the mid-block dipstick hole that had sprayed down the area - but there was a clear indention in the splines where the set screw had bitten into the shaft. I know from that mark I had tightened it when it was installed.

I drilled a 5/16" hole about 1/4" deep into the shaft the exact size of the set screw and really ran it in along with some locktite blue on the threads. I checked and the lower portion of the rag joint was still tight and had not backed off for some reason (locktite added, but I didn't remove it to drill).

Even with this excitement, I love the feel of the steering and I love the fact that there are not a dozen places it could develop a leak in the future. And, with the power brakes in the way, it is impossible to notice unless you really dive in there to look around.
BobN

Not sure if I told this story butt.......friend of mine with 80's model foxbody with a 383 Chevy stroker motor. Drag only car. Took it out and made a couple of 60' passes and one full throttle pass. Nice and straight....carried front wheels pretty nice.
Last run of night....one more 60 footer. Car launched and pulled the wheel up pretty good....carried them several feet...set back down and COASTED to end of track. Found out...last wheelie...jerked the kid back in the seat and PULLED the steering shaft OUT of the box!! ZERO steering!!!
Didn't hit the brakes because it COULD have pulled to left or right!! Coasted to end and we picked him up. He said...while he was waiting he called his front end man and thanked him for a GREAT front end alignment that made that Mustang go so straight!! Needless to say....fixed the problem with a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut on the end!!
Scary, huh?!
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/27/2014 3:51 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/28/2014 10:20 AM  #14

Installed the Borg Box a few months ago... Absolutely love it! Drives straight too.
Yeah, I'm from the old school, not impressed by rack steering. Used Daze's
alignment specs. Think MS specs are the same.
Howard

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.