FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2014 8:20 AM  #1

Spark Plug Choice

Anyone using AP 45 plugs, After 20,000 miles on the Autolite 45's thought maybe an upgrade would be in order. Or just leave well enough alone. 1966 coupe , stock 289 with pertronix ignition.

1/27/2014 9:13 PM  #2

Re: Spark Plug Choice

Jim Bowie-Jim Bowie.....he was a bold adventurous man!!!

Anyhow......I wait until the engine starts missing...then I know its time to swap out plugs!
Usually happens when its 5 degrees and raining outside....I have the flu or I'm out of town.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/27/2014 9:39 PM  #3

If you spring for the really expensive double platinum plugs (good for 100,000 miles) they will probably outlast you.

1/27/2014 10:01 PM  #4

Jim,
Leave well enough alone.........

1/28/2014 8:31 AM  #5

Hornman wrote:

If you spring for the really expensive double platinum plugs (good for 100,000 miles) they will probably outlast you.

Seriously?
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/28/2014 10:21 AM  #6

I am an advocate of regular NGK plugs.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/28/2014 1:04 PM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Seriously?
6s6

Well, yeah. The platinum contacts don't erode under use like the bare steel ones do. New cars have been supplied with platinum tipped 100,000 mile plugs for a long time. Has to be the double platinum though.

1/28/2014 2:47 PM  #8

Hornman wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Seriously?
6s6

Well, yeah. The platinum contacts don't erode under use like the bare steel ones do. New cars have been supplied with platinum tipped 100,000 mile plugs for a long time. Has to be the double platinum though.

I don't know if this is true but I have been told that it takes more juice to fire the fancy shmancy plugs expensive and perhaps in the old ignition systems create more problems than not.
When I was having inition problems a few years ago I took my car to a racing guru who does a lot of offshore racing and engine builds, the first thing he did was take my $$$ Bosch plugs and throw them in the scrap. Car ran great ever since.
For the price of a new set of plain jane NGK's, I change them every year  whether they need them or not.This also gives me a good visual on how the burn is working.
Oh yeah, don't forget to always gap the new plugs,  regardless.

1/28/2014 6:59 PM  #9

Rudi wrote:

Hornman wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Seriously?
6s6

I don't know if this is true but I have been told that it takes more juice to fire the fancy shmancy plugs expensive and perhaps in the old ignition systems create more problems than not.
When I was having inition problems a few years ago I took my car to a racing guru who does a lot of offshore racing and engine builds, the first thing he did was take my $$$ Bosch plugs and throw them in the scrap. Car ran great ever since.
For the price of a new set of plain jane NGK's, I change them every year  whether they need them or not.This also gives me a good visual on how the burn is working.

Your racing guru put new, properly gapped plugs in your engine and it ran great. Never seen that before.  Seriously, there is nothing wrong with standard plugs, particularly if you have a stock(ish) ignition system. NGK, Champion, Autolite, Bosch, all good plugs. Some engines do seem to run better with particular types of plugs, but that is when wringing out the last couple of percent of horsepower. If you have a high intensity ignition system, MSD or similar, then the platinum tipped plugs will give you good service for a long time. There is a reason the factories put the expensive plugs in their cars.

1/29/2014 6:27 AM  #10

Thanks for all the replys, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Standard ones are going back in.

1/29/2014 8:51 AM  #11

Hornman wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Your racing guru put new, properly gapped plugs in your engine and it ran great. Never seen that before.  Seriously,
there is nothing wrong with standard plugs, particularly if you have a stock(ish) ignition system. NGK, Champion, Autolite, Bosch, all good plugs. Some engines do seem to run better with particular types of plugs, but that is when wringing out the last couple of percent of horsepower. If you have a high intensity ignition system, MSD or similar, then the platinum tipped plugs will give you good service for a long time. There is a reason the factories put the expensive plugs in their cars.

Your reply to my above post on this thread is presumptuous, rude and sarcastic.
This type of rhetoric is uncalled for and not indicative of the standards that this forum is noted for.
Read #3 on our forum rules!
Have a good day!

1/29/2014 11:10 AM  #12

Rudi wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Your racing guru put new, properly gapped plugs in your engine and it ran great. Never seen that before.  Seriously,
there is nothing wrong with standard plugs, particularly if you have a stock(ish) ignition system. NGK, Champion, Autolite, Bosch, all good plugs. Some engines do seem to run better with particular types of plugs, but that is when wringing out the last couple of percent of horsepower. If you have a high intensity ignition system, MSD or similar, then the platinum tipped plugs will give you good service for a long time. There is a reason the factories put the expensive plugs in their cars.

Your reply to my above post on this thread is presumptuous, rude and sarcastic.
This type of rhetoric is uncalled for and not indicative of the standards that this forum is noted for.
Read #3 on our forum rules!
Have a good day!

I was going for funny. If I offended you, I apologise. As far as presumptuous, yes, after 40 years as an engineer and practicing gearhead I presume that I know something about sparkplugs. If you decide that my experience is not useful to you, that is your priviledge, I won't be offended.

1/29/2014 12:57 PM  #13

It's been a long Winter so far. CHILL.

1/29/2014 1:03 PM  #14

LOL...  I think a simple ABDFI would have covered this one sufficiently ! 

Jim, didn't you get the bash long distance award in that car once?  And I have seen it at several other bashes.  That tells me your plugs are working quite well !!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/29/2014 1:16 PM  #15

Hi Rudy, I'm 77 years old and have heard it all (well, most of all) Some on this forum are blunt and also full of mischief! Please dont take things so seriously, Its impossible to hear the inflection of the voice in written word and its easy to misinterpret. Please give the benefit of doubt to answers you recieve.
All of the folks on the Forum try to help all, just be generious to all!!! If you don't like the answer, just ignore...
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (1/29/2014 2:22 PM)

1/29/2014 2:05 PM  #16

You guys get this worked up over Spark Plugs.   I wonder what kind of Fireworks politics would set off...LOL   Steve69

1/29/2014 2:18 PM  #17

MustangSteve wrote:

LOL...  I think a simple ABDFI would have covered this one sufficiently ! 

Jim, didn't you get the bash long distance award in that car once?  And I have seen it at several other bashes.  That tells me your plugs are working quite well !!!

Just thought I could get to the next one Quicker. O well. see you all this summer.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.