FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2014 1:05 PM  #1

mustang fox brake conversion

Hey guys, iam a newcomer and having problem with my 67. mustang coupe auto/289 engine.  I got the power brake booster/master from a 1984 mustang.   I modify to fit by drilling new hole and adding 1/2 in. plate firewall and booster that serves as spacer because the rod will not reach or fit the pedal.  The pedal and pedal bracket is the original.   
my problem:   do not have a good feel brake pedal and i am afraid it will not stop the car.  If i use a adustable rod, this will make pedal too high.
WHAT TO DO????

1/30/2014 2:58 PM  #2

Re: mustang fox brake conversion

Welcome to FYIFORD.

You do not want the booster connected to the original pedal pin or a mushy pedal will result. 
What brakes are on the car?  Need some details to help diagnose the issue.  Maybe a pic or two of what you have done.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/30/2014 5:29 PM  #3

I appreciate ur help.  The brakes are from 77' Maverick Inline6.  I got the disc/spindle from this car.  I rebuilt the the calipers, same rotor, new brake hard lines and rubber hose.  The master cylinder from mustan84' is new/rebuilt and same booster and porprotion value, too.  I put a metal plate (custom made) between the firewall(outside) and the booster because without it made the brake pedal too high or did not reached.  Now everything fits "perfect" but when I bled the brake the fliud comes out very weak from all 4 bleeders.  I bled it with engine off and tried it with it running.  I removed the carpet and I rebled it.  I think it got better but not enough.  Maybe a hole in the floor/toe wall would let the pedal go further down.  I 'll sent pics asap. thx   greeting from Austin,TX!!!

1/30/2014 7:33 PM  #4

First thing to check.... Be sure the calipers are on the correct side.

Be sure the rear drum brakes are adjusted out tight against the drums, then back off a few clicks of the self-adjuster.

If you did not relocate the pedal pin, you will probably have a mushy pedal due to the extra mechanical advantage of your manual brake pedal.  The power brake pedal on a 67-70 is different than a manual brake pedal.  See my FAQ page on boosters and pedals.

Last edited by MustangSteve (1/30/2014 7:35 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/30/2014 8:20 PM  #5

1/30/2014 8:28 PM  #6

next week, that will be my next try.   i live on slope hill, so that might be a problem.  the rear drum are adjust because when pumping the brakes i can see them move slightly.
 I don't understand the pedal.  Supposedly it can work with the manual brake pedal.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.