FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2014 1:24 PM  #1

bellhousings

anyone know if the t-5 & old toploader bellhousings are the same as far as the position of the fork where it exits the bellhousing? i have someone wanting me to build brackets for a hydraulic setup based on the t-5, toploader bell & adapter plate. he can get the adapter cheaper than the t-5 bells are going for around here & i'm curious if my brackets based on t5 & bell will line up with the toploader fork. thanks! 

2/07/2014 1:53 PM  #2

Re: bellhousings

Hmm.  I just did this switch so I should remember...  Aren't all the T5s setup for "pull" forks while the four speeds were "push"?  I honestly don't know.  If that's true though the fork would probably be at least a few inches different.  I'm curious now too.

2/07/2014 5:02 PM  #3

Re: bellhousings

The short and direct answer to your question is no.

As JVince already mentioned, the T5 bellhousings are set up for a pull style clutch fork.

Because the T5 uses a pull style clutch fork, it requires a longer slot in the side of the bellhousing for movement.  This led to the bellhousing itself being about an inch longer than the old toploader bellhousings.  If you wish to retain the old Z-style clutch linkage, the old style clutch pivot can be added to the T5 bellhousing.  I did this with my old 67 and drove it for about 90,000 miles.  The trick is that it has to be spaced toward the engine side by about an inch.

When I moved on to the 66 fastback I did it by switching over to a cable style clutch like the T5 uses.  While I made my own modifications to the clutch pedal to make this work, Mustang Steve sells an excellent kit to eliminate a days worth of standing on your head under the dash putting the pedal in and taking it out a dozen times.  It is something to consider.....I think the cable operates much smoother and predictably in my car.

Last edited by 66fastback (2/07/2014 5:03 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.