FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2014 1:21 PM  #1

2013 v6 engine vibration

~~I have a ’13 Mustang coupe, v6, 6-speed as my daily driver.  Ever since I have owned it I have noticed a vibration coming from the engine compartment when coasting.  I thought it was one of those things that new cars have that go away with time.  Well, it did not.  After several months of paying attention to it and getting more uncomfortable with it, I took it to the dealer yesterday.
The symptoms are a vibration that begins at 2800 rpm when coasting downhill under part throttle.  It lessens down to about 2200rpm where it fades away.  It occurs in all gears and even with the clutch in.  So it is engine related.  No drive train.
The dealer checked it out and could duplicate it – thank goodness!  They looked around in their magic problems/issues book and discovered that those symptoms occur naturally with v6 stick shift cars only.  The book says 3500-2000 rpm.   Turns out the flywheel is called a dual mass flywheel and the vibration is a result of the design.  It occurs in all v6-6-speed Mustangs 2011-2014.
Wow!  I have never heard of such a thing.  Making an engine design that has a natural vibration in the normal driving range of the car.  It is very disconcerting to me, so the car may not be long for this household.  If you value your sanity, I would not recommend a v6, 6-speed.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/04/2014 1:53 PM  #2

Re: 2013 v6 engine vibration

DOH !!!

I could have had a V8 !!!

I guess too many people liked the old V6 engines and they had to do something to them to make people want to get rid of them and buy a new car.  This reminds me of the 1975 Buick I had with the odd-fire V6 engine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/04/2014 4:44 PM  #3

Yeah...remember the OLD /first V-6? GMC put them in a lot of trucks. What-a gas hog! Butt-den.....back then gas was 0.35 per.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/04/2014 5:04 PM  #4

Vibration is an persistent problem in V-6 engines.  Some that I have seen have a thing that looks like a mini shock absorber that goes from the engine to the frame, to dampen out the vibrations.  That may have been on the '95 drop top Mustang I had with a V-6.  That other car company that makes the Vortec V-6 uses a counter balance shaft that lies between the intake manifold and the lifters, driven off the cam gear. 
How about the Jap cars with the V-6?  Anybody heard of similar problems?

2/04/2014 5:22 PM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

DOH !!!

I could have had a V8 !!!

I guess too many people liked the old V6 engines and they had to do something to them to make people want to get rid of them and buy a new car.  This reminds me of the 1975 Buick I had with the odd-fire V6 engine.

Yeah.  I went for the cheapo approach to getting a new car.  305hp v6 vs 450hp v8.  The power is fine.but the sound sucks and that vibration is discomforting.  Next time I will pay the extra $10,000 and get the v8.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/04/2014 6:23 PM  #6

lowercasesteve wrote:

Wow!  I have never heard of such a thing.  Making an engine design that has a natural vibration in the normal driving range of the car.

It could be a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak.  It's possible the balancing\damping arrangement that gives you that part throttle\coast down vibration may also make that engine buttery smooth at 7K.

My wife's 09 Edge has a 265HP version of that engine, and while it doesn't grunt down low, it pulls like a rocket at high revs, and is liquid smooth all the way to redline.  There is no vibration of any kind, but then, this car is an automatic.

John

2/08/2014 10:05 AM  #7

I get the same vibration when rpm is reducing around 2800.  But, it always disappears immediately when i push in the clutch.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.