FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2014 1:57 PM  #1

Mulling over PS for my 65

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to decide if I should install power steering on my 65.  I've rollerized the idler arm and I understand that helps somewhat.  However, I plan on having positive caster, which I understand hurts in low speed turning.  I am planning on having wide rubber up front, which I expect will increase the steering effort.  I like the Borgeson box, which is based on the Isuzu Trooper box, but I'm having trouble choking down the price.  I'm thinking about doing my own Trooper conversion, but the pitman arm is a problem.  The conversion reqiures either resplining the output shaft of the box, modifying the pitman arm to accept the larger Trooper input shaft, or making a new pitman arm.  Looking for some input.  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/24/2014 2:08 PM  #2

Re: Mulling over PS for my 65

The stock 65/66 pitman arm fits directly on the output of the Borgeson box for those model years.  They modify the box for the application.  I am going a different direction on my belt setup and have their PS pump and bracket that I need to sell.  If you decide to do this, you can get the upgrade version rather than the PS conversion and I'll sell you the pump and bracket for roughly 1/2 of the cost difference plus shipping to save you a few $$.  CJPony often has the Borg boxes/kits on sale.  In fact, they are on sale right now.  http://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-power-steering-upgrade-kit-289-1965-1966/p/PSK12/

2/24/2014 3:18 PM  #3

The question is.....how old are you??...How fat are you?? Other than that....Mustangs(even with fat tires and loads of caster) are pretty easy to turn when parking and steer at low speeds. IMHO
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/24/2014 6:03 PM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

The question is.....how old are you??...How fat are you?? Other than that....Mustangs(even with fat tires and loads of caster) are pretty easy to turn when parking and steer at low speeds. IMHO
6sal6

Well, I'm not that old and I'm not fat, but I'd like to set the car up so my wife can drive it. 

2/24/2014 6:13 PM  #5

GPatrick wrote:

The stock 65/66 pitman arm fits directly on the output of the Borgeson box for those model years.  They modify the box for the application.  I am going a different direction on my belt setup and have their PS pump and bracket that I need to sell.  If you decide to do this, you can get the upgrade version rather than the PS conversion and I'll sell you the pump and bracket for roughly 1/2 of the cost difference plus shipping to save you a few $$.  CJPony often has the Borg boxes/kits on sale.  In fact, they are on sale right now.  http://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-power-steering-upgrade-kit-289-1965-1966/p/PSK12/

Thanks, but I still can't choke down that price.  I'm leaning toward doing my own Isuzu Trooper box conversion if I can figure out how to modify the pitman arm.  I've seen write-ups where someone has welded part of the Troop arm to the Mustang arm, but that would always be something I'd worry about, even if a pro did it.  I've seen others where someone has cut off the steering box end of the Trooper arm, turned it round on a lathe, and pressed it into a custom pitman arm and welded it up.  Anyone do either of those?

2/24/2014 9:14 PM  #6

jkordzi wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

Well, I'm not that old and I'm not fat, but I'd like to set the car up so my wife can drive it. 

I didn't mean to be........mean.. with my questions butt they are important as far as upper body strength and such. Didn't think about a women driving the car! 
Well I'm 65 and my 'stang has manual steering with 225-60-15's on the front.  Sitting totally still it can be a struggle to turn the wheel butt.....it really doesn't happen a lot. When parking...just a little motion makes the wheel turning pretty darn easy. And of course...going down the road at speed...it's great. Almost as easy as my S-10 that DOES have power steer.
All the complaints I've seen/heard on here about leaky stock units make me glad its a manual box. Now the Borg box IS suppose to be the ticket I hear.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/24/2014 9:21 PM  #7

6sally6 wrote:

jkordzi wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

I didn't mean to be........mean.. with my questions butt they are important as far as upper body strength and such. Didn't think about a women driving the car! 
Well I'm 65 and my 'stang has manual steering with 225-60-15's on the front.  Sitting totally still it can be a struggle to turn the wheel butt.....it really doesn't happen a lot. When parking...just a little motion makes the wheel turning pretty darn easy. And of course...going down the road at speed...it's great. Almost as easy as my S-10 that DOES have power steer.
All the complaints I've seen/heard on here about leaky stock units make me glad its a manual box. Now the Borg box IS suppose to be the ticket I hear.
6s6

Hey no problem. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.