FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2013 12:40 PM  #1

London Steve's history with pictures

I finally got around to scanning in some old snapshots, so now am reposting my bio with pictures. Sorry if you have read the description before.

I bought my first Mustang at the age of 18. A blue 68 coupe with a 289 and C4, with power steering and standard drum brakes. It was a running project car, originally sold at a dealer right in my home town of London, Ontario, Canada. Unfortunately, having spent it's life in the ravages of Canadian winters, I soon found that it was beyond repair, due to rust damage. ( EVERYTHING that I "tested" with a pointed body hammer went right through to the handle. )

It became a donor, and I totally stripped it of anything and everything useful. Then managed to find a rust free rolling shell from the southern U.S. that a local hobbiest had imported. A Canadian car that rotted before it had travelled too far, and a U.S. shell that was mechanically worn out, but still completely rust free, was a winning combination. ( I have done that twice more since. )  

I painted it Acapulco blue and used it as daily transportation in good weather for years. My second Stang was a good quality 68 6 cylinder coupe I bought during this period to drive as my winter car. ( It was cheap. ) It was year round vintage Mustang transportation for a couple years.

As I found money to upgrade my V8 car, I transferred the cast off parts to the 6 cylinder to upgarde it too. Eventually got to the point I could not justify subjecting it to winters anymore, so I restored it and sold it off.

Unfortunately at this stage I lost my job due to downsizing. I was recently married and only six months into home ownership. I made a knee jerk decision to sell my baby at auction for whatever I could get before winter storage was required.

As it turned out I found a much better career in sales making far more money, but the car was gone. Began a search and found a 1967 V8 coupe locally that had been brought up from Texas. Complete car this time but sun baked, trashed interior, and did not run.

Started over again and did a full restoration. Drove it summers for years. Even built a detached garage for it at my first house.

Then came children. It barely left the garage. When the planned second kid turned out to be twins, making it double trouble, I made another knee jerk decision and sold it. Another dumb move.

I remained out of the car hobby for the next 11 years. When all your kids enter the teen phase, they don't need much of your time anymore, so I started looking again 3 years ago. My wife insisted that if I did another one, it had to be a convertible this time.

As luck would have it I found a rust free 68 unfinished project convertible imported from Georgia, and a rotten Canadian donor at the same time. Worked out great. Also stumbled on a Californian 68 convertible rolling shell at the same time. I bought it too, because it was too high quality to let go.

Now both are done, and I need to sell one. It will become more urgent when I bring home the 1967 fastback in storage that I bought in November! ( Only a double garage you see. )

The fastback is complete and very well restored by the brother of the man who owned it for the last 35 years. Unfortunately the owner died before they could finish it together. It is a shame he did not see the completed product. It is beautiful.

So the plan is to have one convertible and one fastback permanently. I do love the restoration process though, so I am on the hunt to find a project fastback to keep me occupied in the future. I will just have to find more storage! ( Already talkin to neighbours. )

This site has been a real boon to me having been out of the hobby for a while. Thanks for everyones help along the way.

8/16/2013 3:18 PM  #2

Re: London Steve's history with pictures

Loved reading this.
Thanks for sharing.

8/16/2013 8:55 PM  #3

Great story!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/19/2013 2:49 AM  #4

Wow!

2/27/2014 4:13 PM  #5

Just an update. I did locate a new 68 fastback project in October. Was a T code, so just getting started on suspension, brakes and steering. Dropped in an 8 inch, 5 bolt rear end, and upgrading to CSRP power disc up front. Going to be a 302 with power steering. Had a bench, but I hate it, so converting to buckets. Still mulling over colour. It was lime green, so it's not going to be original. Probably a year or more before it will be on the road. Having lots of fun diving into a new build.
-  LondonSteve

Last edited by LondonSteve (2/27/2014 4:18 PM)

6/04/2014 11:24 AM  #6

awesome! thanks for sharing!
on the third pic, i still have a set of those mags!
what's with all the white stuff in some of the pics? volcano erupt ash?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.