FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2014 8:06 PM  #1

Edelbrock E street Upgrade

Edelbrock website specifically said that E street is good from idle to 5500 rpm. I definitely will rev way over that with my little 289... What should I change on the valve department to make it possible? I heard horror stories about spring dampers and the springs itself breaking on E street. What spring and spring specification should I buy? What dampers?

Thanks for the answers folks!!

1968 'C' Code Coupe, M Yellow, Parchment Interior, Street Or Track IFS, Randalls R&P, JBA & more later

2/26/2014 8:53 PM  #2

Re: Edelbrock E street Upgrade

A good starting point for valve spring requirements is with your cam specifications. Make sure your valve springs meet the cam requirements. I interpret 0-5500 rpm as the "breathing range" for your heads. Air simply will not flow well above this range. If you truly intend to regularly operate your engine above 5500 RPM, these heads are not your best bet.

Since you have a lot of parts already, build what you have knowing your operating range is up to 5500 RPM. No need to spend mega-bucks on exotic stuff to rev to 7000 RPM. Your heads are your limiting factor. I have E7 factory iron heads that I gasket matched/ported myself. You are already a step up having aluminum heads. My cam is from Summit Racing, 0-5500 RPM It is a SUM-4400, same grind specs as Edelbrock performer. The engine will get a cam and heads upgrade, but not right now. I love driving my (hand built by me) car. 

Last edited by hanxno (2/26/2014 8:54 PM)

2/26/2014 9:44 PM  #3

It comp cams high energy 268H rpm range is 1500-5500. Well maybe I cannot rev higher then, but i just want a peace of mind knowing my springs wouldn't break on me.... I just want a better drop in replacement for my speings for the insurance.

1968 'C' Code Coupe, M Yellow, Parchment Interior, Street Or Track IFS, Randalls R&P, JBA & more later

2/27/2014 3:24 AM  #4

So what is the suggestion?? I read on a forum that K-Motion K750 is a good drop in replacement for the E-street, this really confuse me, Edellbrock website indicated 1.460 spring diameter while K-Motion K750 has 1.265 diameter....What spring will drop in nicely as a stronger replacement for my E-Street???

2/27/2014 7:04 AM  #5

I have those heads on my 289. K750 was the part number I got for better springs. Had a cam that had .512 lift on intake and exhaust. Limit for the springs that come on the heads states .550 max. So instead if changing the springs. I bought a different cam. Toned down. But the engine runs strong and I like it.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

2/27/2014 8:20 AM  #6

Tmac wrote:

I have those heads on my 289. K750 was the part number I got for better springs. Had a cam that had .512 lift on intake and exhaust. Limit for the springs that come on the heads states .550 max. So instead if changing the springs. I bought a different cam. Toned down. But the engine runs strong and I like it.

So you did not buy the K750 and currently still running stock spring? Do you ever get past 5500rpm?

2/27/2014 8:53 AM  #7

That is correct. I have the springs that came with the heads. They are the 1.265. I only have about 500 miles on this motor. So no, I do not get to the 5500 RPM range. Have been in the 4000 range, but then backed off or switched gears. New T-5 as well, so haven't even done any burn outs yet. Still trying to get this thing aligned better.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

2/27/2014 10:00 AM  #8

Back last year  CC mag did a budget head comparison and the E streets were pretty high on the list as a good performance head for the price.  I think Trick Flow just beat them out for the HP but not in price.  Steve69

2/27/2014 10:33 AM  #9

I am buying 3/8" ARP rocker stud and K Motion K750 springs for peace of mind.  Scorpion 1.6 ratio full roller rocker set for he extra oomph for my very very mild cam.....How much gain should I see with 1.6 ratio arms with my HE268H cams?

2/27/2014 11:06 AM  #10

Above is the camshaft specs...really mild cam but it is what I have in hand....Should I go 1.6 or 1.7 rocker ratio for a street friendly setup?

2/27/2014 2:38 PM  #11

Uwiik,  The springs and keepers recommended by the cam maker are what you should use.  Because of the aluminum head, the springs may need to be set into (sorry, I'm having a brain fluff right now, and cant remember the right name for the part) little steel pockets where the spring contacts the aluminum head.  Also, DO NOT use "rotators" on top of the exhaust springs.  Then, look on the "Cam Card" that will come with the cam, it will give information about rpm range, and it may (some do not) give the "valve float" range.  Float range will be more than the high end of the rpm range.  So, in order to get the optimum performance, you will need a good tachometer - especially helpful keeping you from entering "float" territory.  Or, use a rev-limiter to keep you out of "float" territory.
Depending on your set up - transmission gears, rear end gears, etc. - "Red Line" and "float" territory can happen really fast in 1st gear.
Good Luck

2/27/2014 7:28 PM  #12

I don't know about your Edelbrock combo, but two years ago I had a problem with loss of power at about 4500-5000 rpm when I installed some 1997 5.0L GT-40 heads on my 351W. I put it on a dyno and the techs said valve float was my problem. The stock GT-40 valve springs did not match up with the Comp Cams XE256H-10 cam that was in my engine. It was originally matched with a stock set of 70 351W heads. The machinist that put the engine together originally said he had seen that before, and he suggested going with some Comp Cams 942-16 and 901-16 replacement springs. I swapped them out with the GT-40 springs, and problem solved - goes  right through 5000 without skipping a beat.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.