FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2014 5:33 PM  #1

Need Wheels for MS's 2011-2013 Mustang GT 13.2" Disc Brake Conversion

Hi Folks,

I just sold my old wheels for my 65 FB because I bought Steve's 2011-2013 Mustang GT 13.2" disc brake conversion, so now I need new 17" wheels that will clear the brakes.  I'm building my car to "look" period correct, so when you open the hood you won't see billet aluminum, or an EFI conversion (nothing against restomods, just not my taste).  Also, I've opted instead for a rollerized front suspension instead of tubular controls arms, and a Isuzu Trooper/Borgeson PS box instead of a rack and pinion.  So although I'm integrating modern brakes, I'd like the wheels to be in keeping with the same theme.  Does anyone know if Torq Thrust, Minilite copies, Vintage 48s, or other similar wheels fit?  Any other suggestions as to backspacing or other styles?  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/21/2014 11:48 PM  #2

Re: Need Wheels for MS's 2011-2013 Mustang GT 13.2" Disc Brake Conversion

Seance the kit doesn't change stock track width but instead makes it so you need to clear the rotor. Here ya go pretty good reference http://dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

2/22/2014 8:11 AM  #3

True74yamaha wrote:

Seance the kit doesn't change stock track width but instead makes it so you need to clear the rotor. Here ya go pretty good reference http://dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

Thanks.  Looks like if I go w/ 17" wheels, a 4.75" back space and 235 45 17 tires seems to work in most cases.

2/22/2014 11:20 AM  #4

The main reason say cobra wheels don't work with out a spacer is even though you have their brake you don't have they're track width.. The off set that the hub on those cars is greater. Which tells you you'll need to space them out

2/22/2014 9:38 PM  #5

Just to add perspective, we put 2004 bullitt 17" x 8 wheels on with this brake setup on our 66 coupe.  They have 5.75 backspace so they required 1" spacer adapters, and the calipers barely clear the inner wheel.  Since the inner rims narrow a bit as they go in towards the hub, I would hazard a  guess they would not clear without the spacer.

Bob

2/23/2014 12:13 PM  #6

rbtconsultants wrote:

Just to add perspective, we put 2004 bullitt 17" x 8 wheels on with this brake setup on our 66 coupe.  They have 5.75 backspace so they required 1" spacer adapters, and the calipers barely clear the inner wheel.  Since the inner rims narrow a bit as they go in towards the hub, I would hazard a  guess they would not clear without the spacer.
Bob

What size tires do you have?  Any rubbing?  Did you have to roll the fender lip?  What springs do you have?  thanks.

2/27/2014 7:23 PM  #7

Tires are 215/50/17. No fenders yet, so I don't know for sure they don't rub. The net amount of backspace is 4.75" so I'm not concerned. We do have progressive rate springs.

Here's a couple pics.  No engine in the pic so it's sitting high in the front.

2/27/2014 8:13 PM  #8

Thanks - those look great.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.