FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2014 7:07 PM  #1

Thought I'd post pics of 65 deck lid

Sorry for the dirtyness stang Hasent been going for a while due to few overhauls on her. Any how recently asked for opinions about my deck lid gaps and what should I do well thought I'd post pics to shed some light on it. Ideas all welcome and a reminder my quarter exatentions are molded into eachother no seam.

Left side

2/26/2014 7:11 PM  #2

Re: Thought I'd post pics of 65 deck lid

Funny thing is my gaps consitant all around up untill the ends on both sides. It was this was before installed new skins. Here's upper left

2/26/2014 7:13 PM  #3

Right side bottom and upper. . both bottoms are same gap or close to eachother. Is this normal my cousins is pretty close to being like this

2/26/2014 10:47 PM  #4

Nasty look'in nail fungus!!  J/K!!! 
 How bout a pic showing the ENTIRE trunk lid.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/27/2014 7:56 AM  #5

Do me ah favor , Measure the width of the trunk lid in three places ( Top, middle, and bottom ) Then do the same with the opening. One of them is off.  Your pics are too close for me to see if it's just the end caps or not. Either way I think you'll need to take ah file to one or the other. I'd just choose the one thats off,  (lid or end caps) ..

It's hard to type "funny"

2/27/2014 9:58 AM  #6

Looks like the quarter panel end caps were installed wrong.  If they match the new quarters, then the quarters are wrong also.  This is why it is imperative to have ALL THE PANELS on a car before welding anything in place.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/27/2014 10:23 AM  #7

Ya I needed to do something on on the quarter panels when installing them the cars gaps were like this even before installing new quarter skins is the odd thing. If I moved my ends out to even it out my ends are probably about a good 1/4" farther out. Funny thing is the numbers and everything fits and contours very well with the deck lid all those lines are nice. I'm going to take another pic then measure like you said. I was thinking if I have to, use an die grinder and go over a lil bit from the bottom corners and zip up about an inch cut out about an 1/8" pie peice on each side then double check and see if it fits better with that done to it.  If not a lil more then once I get to a happy medium I'd weld it back together.

2/27/2014 11:12 AM  #8

middle another shot at it dr side pass middle length end length

2/27/2014 11:15 AM  #9

When you look at tr car the gaps exact side to side it really looks like it's the lid on the ends it look like all the sudden it gets wide .pic of my junky lid I'm going to be sanding down and redoing. .

Last edited by True74yamaha (2/27/2014 11:15 AM)

2/27/2014 11:23 AM  #10

Just and dumb dumb moment then again haven't had my cup of joe ha ha. I went back out measured my deck lids bottom width it's an 1/8" bigger that the car so that's why my gaps messed up. Should I measure my other deck lid that Ramses help me find it's from a 65 coup maybe my stock one was stamped weird from factory.

2/27/2014 11:32 AM  #11

I think the lid is correct, because the edge looks straight. 

The body line from the quarter caps all along the side of the trunk opening should be a straight line.  Yours are not straight.

2/27/2014 11:34 AM  #12

My deck lid from where it bend it actually gets wider giving me that extra 1/8". So what do you guys think I should do grind out the filler and put in a seam to my end caps. So I can then gain my extra 1/8" but I'll also have to do more filler on the panel to compensate.

2/27/2014 11:39 AM  #13

Pic of correct fit

2/27/2014 12:11 PM  #14

These gaps can easily be corrected by grinding the deck lid edges parallel to the qtrs. and rewelding...been there done that... its too easy....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/27/2014 12:17 PM  #15

jerseyjoe wrote:

These gaps can easily be corrected by grinding the deck lid edges parallel to the qtrs. and rewelding...been there done that... its too easy....jj

That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do. How do you guys think about the seamless quarter existention it was bolted on tight then fiberglass end and then filler was used up even it out

2/27/2014 12:35 PM  #16

I am not a proponent of modifying a correct part to fit a non-correct mating part.  Then you just have two incorrect parts.  Why not modify the incorrect one so you have TWO CORRECT ones.

This also fits into my category of DO NOT Modify a part that may have to get replaced someday.

Hopefully your filled quarter caps will win the test of time.  It seems like you see alot of stuff like that where it cracks over time.  But it does give a very smooth look.  It is just too bad yours were not installed straight to begin with.

2/27/2014 12:56 PM  #17

True I think if I was to do it again I needed to extend the quarters out more from the tail light pan because  it seemed no matter how I adjusted it the quarter would have to have some filler work done. Oh well thanks guys for the help. Hopfully I when I grind out the seam on the car I don't have to fill much more. Oh well at least mine how it is fits better than my cousins you can look down the car the black paint looks perfect then you see the end caps horror they don't follow the body lines at all. It looks like a Picasso painting mated with a mustang

2/27/2014 3:10 PM  #18

Good pics. Well it looks to me that the quarter extensions are your problem. perhaps after market peices? There cocked in at the bottom. You can see the difference at the bumper as well. Are you sure the FULL quarter panels weren't replaced at some point? Because it looks like the extensions line up with the quarters ,but not with anything else. And as far as them being molded into the quarter I think I'd go back to stock. You'll have more give in how you fit them.

2/27/2014 3:35 PM  #19

True74yamaha wrote:

jerseyjoe wrote:

That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do. How do you guys think about the seamless quarter existention it was bolted on tight then fiberglass end and then filler was used up even it out

The seamless qtr. extentions  may look good now , but they will crack at the seams...try to remove them and clean them and the qtrs. up or replace them the correct way...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/27/2014 9:14 PM  #20

I agree about going back to stock seams on corners.  Anytime you see a car modified with fender flares, you almosts always see cracks. The fiberglass doesn't hold to metal very well so that's why they always separate or crack.  With the corners being pot metal or whatever that is, your car actually has 2 different types of metals the fiberglass is trying to adhere to.

Last edited by Ozblitz (2/27/2014 9:15 PM)

2/27/2014 9:18 PM  #21

I'm actally having fits aligning my daughter's coupe corners also. But I've determined someone replaced the tail light panel and that's what's messing my alignment all up! I really dont want to cut tail light panel out.

2/27/2014 10:12 PM  #22

Guyz.......we need to keep in mind these things were "thrown together" in 65 and 66!  They made over a MILLION of them to supply the demand. FoMoCo was probably running 3-8 hour shifts...7 days a week just to keep up.
This is why they didn't primer the inside of the cowl...doors..other parts that weren't seen.
Also all the twisting and torqueing these first gen "uni-bodys" have endured over the last 50 years, its a wonder ANY of them can sit on all 4 wheels at the same time! Besides....nobody at FoMoCo intended for these little cars to be around in 50 years. These were the original "throw-away cars".
Its no wonder the gaps are "out-of-whack" and the towers are caving inward and the windows whistle and the springs groan.......
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/28/2014 7:47 AM  #23

DITTO!!!!!!!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.