FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2014 6:16 PM  #1

Leveling ride height

New member here.  I've read through a number of posts and everyone seems to be very courteous and helpful!

Wanted to get an opinion on what to use to level my car. The left side sits about 1/2 inch lower than the right.  Very noticable up front since I have lowered it with 620 1" drop springs.

I've replaced all suspension components except rear leafs and strut rod bushings.  The only thing different from stock parts is the 620 1"  springs.  Lean is same as before new parts were put on as well.

I know the rear leafs need to be changed out and might contribute to the lean.  I've also read where many people have replaced the leaf springs yet still have the lean.  I will replaced them eventually but in the meantime I want to fix the lean by either spacers under the spring perch ears(between spring perch and UCA) or insulator pad on top of the springs.  I've read that the thick insulator pads can allow the spring to "unseat" and I really don't want that.  Interesting thing when removing all the old suspension parts, there were aluminum spacers under the spring perches on each side. I decided to not put them back with the new parts.

What method would you use?

Oh and I dont want to cut the passenger spring down to level it because it sits at a perfect height on that side.

Thanks

2/28/2014 7:01 PM  #2

Re: Leveling ride height

Well I'd start buy changing the 50+ year old leafs & strut rod bushings. Then start the search for ah, good, old, alignment shop that still knows how to work on old cars. And get that done. The lean could be do to several factors. But I'd start with the stuff you know needs replacement then go from there.

It's hard to type "funny"

2/28/2014 8:23 PM  #3

sirbevo wrote:

New member here.  I've read through a number of posts and everyone seems to be very courteous and helpful!

Wanted to get an opinion on what to use to level my car. The left side sits about 1/2 inch lower than the right.  Very noticable up front since I have lowered it with 620 1" drop springs.

I've replaced all suspension components except rear leafs and strut rod bushings.  The only thing different from stock parts is the 620 1"  springs.  Lean is same as before new parts were put on as well.

I know the rear leafs need to be changed out and might contribute to the lean.  I've also read where many people have replaced the leaf springs yet still have the lean.  I will replaced them eventually but in the meantime I want to fix the lean by either spacers under the spring perch ears(between spring perch and UCA) or insulator pad on top of the springs.  I've read that the thick insulator pads can allow the spring to "unseat" and I really don't want that.  Interesting thing when removing all the old suspension parts, there were aluminum spacers under the spring perches on each side. I decided to not put them back with the new parts.

What method would you use?

Oh and I dont want to cut the passenger spring down to level it because it sits at a perfect height on that side.

Thanks

I wouldn't do anything to one side that I didn't do to the other.  I think that's a recipie for bad handling.  That includes cutting coils, spacers, etc.  You already know you should check your leaf springs.  I think a quick way to get a feel if one of them is the problem (aside from obvious issues like a broken leaf) is to pull a string from eye to eye and measure from the string to the top of the rear axle.  The measurements should be pretty close.  If you find that one leaf spring pack is not the issue, I'd have to question whether your unibody is twisted or there's a structural failure.  Has your car been in a wreck, are the subframes or floor panels badly rusted through in places, are the door gaps different, etc.?  Have you had the car aligned?

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

2/28/2014 8:36 PM  #4

Shimming the front, if the problem originates in the rear, will just make your car start twisting itself and really mess things up.

How about a scientific approach?  What you need to do is to remove the rear springs from the equation.  Not from the car, just the equation.  Before you begin, measure the ride height of all four corners of the car, as measured from the center of the wheel to the inside of the wheelwell arch.  Write down those dimensions.

Find yourself a nice level garage floor or driveway, make sure all the air pressure is the same in the tires, and the front end is known to be aligned relatively within specs.  Then, jack up the rear of the car and put some jackstands on the pinch-weld lift points under the rear of the rocker panels (NOT under the axle).  Adjust the jackstands to equal height, being sure the rear end is held up with the tires off the ground about an inch.

Then take your new measurements on the front of the car, measuring from the wheelwell arch to the ground or, better yet, from the center of the wheel to that wheel arch.  Document the dimensions because they will be handy to have in the future.  If the front measurements are then equal, you know the rear springs are causing the problem.  If the front dimensions are off the same amount they were before, then you need to look at something up in the front.  If that is the case, then remove the jackstands and place them under the front framerail to repeat the procedure, but seeing if the rear wheels are equidistant below the quarter wheelwells.  That can tell you if the car is square, or if the suspension components are off, or something is bent.

I don't see how a strut rod could alter height, but spring perches can, and a loose upper control arm shaft can.  If you recently rebuilt the front end, and did not weld the UCA bushings to the UCA, one may have come loose.  Recently, an alignment jockey aligned my car and all the shims fell out of the right side.  I heard a pop and the car then sat 1/4" lower on that side.  Today's pressurized shocks can affect ride height a bit.  If one side lost pressure, it might sit a little lower.  Do not assume that new components are perfect.

I am betting the rear springs are the culprit, but it could be something else.  You just need to take measurements to see where the problem originates.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/28/2014 10:13 PM  #5

Wow, thanks for the help!   I will do the scientific approach tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I am using the opentracker UCA's that are welded. 

thanks again 

Last edited by sirbevo (2/28/2014 10:16 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.