FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2014 3:59 PM  #1

1969 Mustang Cluster Guage Dash lights issue

Ok, I was working on the T5 again this weekend got a lot done with it. The dash lights were not coming on. Unfortunately, it was not a fuse issue. So hopefully, I can explain what I seeing,

At first none of the lights worked behind the gauges. I took the dash off and pulled the gauge panel. Checked the electrical bus that supplies power to the gauges and it checked out as fine with 12V,
I then pulled and reset all the bulbs. In doing so I discovered that someone had installed those Blue LED lights along with leaving 3 of the standard bulbs in place. I think they had them just installed in any slot but as I said none worked. I pulled them and then reseated them and got one of the standard bulbs to work. I noticed that one of those was in the turn signal blinker slot. I then replaced it with one of the LEDs and it did not work. So I placed the two standard bulbs into the blinker slots and then set the other LEDS in place to discover my bright light indicator did not work in this sequence. I then pulled a couple LEDs and plugged back in the standard bulb into the bright light indicator slot. It came on. I then swapped it for one of the LEDs and got a no go again. I put back the standard bulb it worked. But failed after I put back in the other LEDs. Of which they all came on. Confusing huh! LOL Well in any case I have dash lights just no bright light indicator.  But to be honest I like seeing the horse light up. I don’t mind using the standard bulbs can you get these bulbs still at the auto stores?

LOL What in the heck is going on?

Also, I broke that plastic piece that holds the Speedo in place. What a piece of junk that retainer ring is. It’s hard and dry after years of being on the car, once you squeeze it to pull it just breaks. No biggie I guess I have to replace that cable now. And get my bright light indicator going.

Thanks

2/17/2014 4:31 PM  #2

Re: 1969 Mustang Cluster Guage Dash lights issue

just a thought, have you tried to see if the headlight switch rotates and dims the dash lights??  You might try turning it back and forth to see if that has any effect on them.  Mine on my 65 if you rotate it the dash lights will go out real quick!  I think my switch needs replaced

2/17/2014 5:14 PM  #3

You will need a new speedo cable.  Get the one for a 69 C-4 or three speed, NOT a four speed.

Someone else was having trouble getting LED lights to work.  I would go get new bulbs at OReilly's and ditch the LEDs.

Note... It is nearly impossible on a 69 to see the high beam indicator illuminated during the day.  But, they show up well at night when they are working.

I figured worst case, the dash lights could be run off the same wire that feeds the tachometer light, since it appears to function with the headlight dimmer switch.  Apparently, LED bulbs do not like dimmers or something, and are not worth the trouble if you just want the lights to work like they are supposed to.  If you want a custom look and are willing to undergo the pain to achieve it, let us know how it works out!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/17/2014 6:06 PM  #4

Thanks for the input guys. I did try the dimmer switch...and yes I agree with Steve Leds dont like to be dimmed. Yeah im just going to get the OE replacement bulbs. Plenty good for me. So far as the Speedo concerned Steve thanks for the advice on which one to get.

PS I love the Inline 6.  In this car. I changed the oil. Checked the plugs..cleamed the carb and greased the steering knuckles which helped loads. Just a crap load of fun to drive! Lol

2/17/2014 7:09 PM  #5

Found this post on MUSTANG PROJECT's web page/instructions for their LED dash lights...8) 1969 and later lamps are POLORIZED. If the lamps do not light simply remove the lamp and reinstall with 180 deg. twist.

2/17/2014 9:42 PM  #6

Hmmm so they are saying basically if they dont work one way flip them 180 degree. Sounds and might explain why I got them to eventually work. But the LEDs refused to work indicators lights. But thanks for looking into it. I might still go with the OE lights. And move on to the next thing.....the radio.

Still holding out on the head gasket at the moment. Lol ill get to it.

2/17/2014 10:04 PM  #7

Radio works if the speakers are wired in.  Just have to be careful cutting and filing the shafts for the new knobs.

2/21/2014 10:48 PM  #8

Got the new bulbs in the dash. It works just like new when you use OE bulbs.. Hint....for those fighting leds...just toss them. Lol also got the radio working. And installed the new speedometer cable.  Time to enjoy it for a while. Then move onto the body issues.

2/22/2014 2:49 PM  #9

Cool!  I knew it was going to be something simple to get those lights working.  Did you put the new knobs on and shorten the shafts?

3/03/2014 7:42 PM  #10

Sorry for the  slow reply Steve. For now I just wired up the two speakers under the dash. Definitely sounds like a one speaker vintage radio. Lol good enough for now. I had to go and pull that head this weekend I was hoping it could  wait longer. But on Friday with that warmer day we had....the motor didn't like that.  And I also noticed this 250 sucks down oil...Lol. So I pulled the head off Saturday. Going to clean and rebuild the carb also. Clean up the engine a little replace the gasket etc. Btw how do I post pictures on  here? Thanks.

3/03/2014 10:42 PM  #11

That is a 4 speaker state-of-the-art stereo radio (for 1969)...  I guess everything varies depending on what you are used to.

Sorry you had head gasket issues.  That engine has been running fine and I never had to add oil since I got the car over a year ago! 

Sounds like a good excuse for a 5.0.  Ramses may have his available soon, but it is a flat cam engine.  Seems like there are a ton of 5.0's on Craigslist this week also.

3/03/2014 11:03 PM  #12

Thanks no problem its all good. And a good excuse to see the guts of this 250. Yeah a 5.0 would be great. But no money to spare at the moment. So im going with the 250 for now.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.