FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 7:43 AM  #1

any pics out there of AC compressor mount brackets on a 302/5.0?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new AC system and will have to buy the compressor separate because I have a fox body serpentine set-up and they don't offer the compressor with their kit for that kind of set-up at Classic Air. Been looking around on Ebay for a compressor and found the ones that fit my bracket (1/2 moon bracket on in front of Drivers side valve cover, compressor has 3 ears with bolts that go front to back) is an extra $100 compared to the compressors that have 4 bolts going side to side?  anyone got a pic of the 4 bolt style installed? how do they differentiate between the 2 styles of compressors. My brackets came off 92 Mustang and when I looked at one at Autozone, they had one that would fit my bracket, but online the majority are the 4 bolt set-ups for $100 cheaper? Are one style of compressor better than the other? I like my simple clean plate style bracket where the power steering pump hangs off the lower side in front of the fuel pump, but would like to see other options and hear what you guys/Gals got to say.
Thanks

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

3/03/2014 10:18 PM  #2

Re: any pics out there of AC compressor mount brackets on a 302/5.0?

This is the one I got with my CAA system but did not install. I still have it in unused condition.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/04/2014 6:14 AM  #3

mainiac1 wrote:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new AC system and will have to buy the compressor separate because I have a fox body serpentine set-up and they don't offer the compressor with their kit for that kind of set-up at Classic Air. Been looking around on Ebay for a compressor and found the ones that fit my bracket (1/2 moon bracket on in front of Drivers side valve cover, compressor has 3 ears with bolts that go front to back) is an extra $100 compared to the compressors that have 4 bolts going side to side?  anyone got a pic of the 4 bolt style installed? how do they differentiate between the 2 styles of compressors. My brackets came off 92 Mustang and when I looked at one at Autozone, they had one that would fit my bracket, but online the majority are the 4 bolt set-ups for $100 cheaper? Are one style of compressor better than the other? I like my simple clean plate style bracket where the power steering pump hangs off the lower side in front of the fuel pump, but would like to see other options and hear what you guys/Gals got to say.
Thanks

I beleive the other AC company sells the kit for the 5.0 Early Mustang Conversion. 

3/04/2014 6:17 AM  #4

This was MS pic of the Front.  Maybe this will help.

3/04/2014 6:23 AM  #5

Yeah, thats almosty excactly how mine is set-up...was looking for one using the sise to side compressor mounting like the explorers use.

3/04/2014 7:15 AM  #6

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere, that the stock compressors are great for r12 but don't really work well with R34. That might be a consideration if you are changing out your system. I think I also read that the sanden compressors are better at r34 than those stock Four Seasons compressors, but different brackets are needed to mount them.  

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

3/04/2014 9:02 AM  #7

Yeah, thats why I'm trying to get a pic of the side mounted compressor brackets that the Sanden compressors use. I hadn't heard about the R12 vs R34 issue though. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel...fab a bracket to fit the Sanden compressors, but I think the system I'm buying is an R34 system.

3/04/2014 9:37 AM  #8

3/04/2014 10:27 AM  #9

MarkinSC wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere, that the stock compressors are great for r12 but don't really work well with R34. That might be a consideration if you are changing out your system. I think I also read that the sanden compressors are better at r34 than those stock Four Seasons compressors, but different brackets are needed to mount them.  

In my '91 F150 (which should, in theory, use a similar compressor to the stock mustang compressor of that vintage) I'm running R134a with the stock compressor and it blows COLD!

3/04/2014 11:28 AM  #10

Hey thanks alot for that link....took a couple phone calls but I think I can buy the brackets for the Sanden compressor that bolt to the fox bracket I'm using now!

3/04/2014 4:10 PM  #11

Ok Guys, just got off the phone with Glen at Hose Wizard in GA. He would sell me the brackets I need to adapt a Sanden compressor to my foxbody bracket ($129), but had concerns of hood clearence with a 66....Guy had alot of good info. Also said my flex fan would not draw enough air across the evaperator coil to make the systen work well. He sugested either a dual electric fan or mechanical fan with clutch to fit a (81-93 Foxbody) if I have the clearence between radiator and water pump pulley. He said the main obstruction for the hood would be the lines entering the compressor which set 3" above the height of my fox body bracket. Sounds like either compressor I go with will have a problem w clearence here. He also said he could set me up with a Flex-7 and horizontal manifold. Just got off the phone w Old Air Products. They too have a bracket to make the Sanden compressor fit which rotates the compressor to 3 oclock and gets the lines under the hood ($95).You guys with this AC setup care to chime in....any words of wisdom here? Got a fiberglass hood with scoop if that makes a difference. I'm starting to learn that nothing you do to these cars to make them drive better or be more comfortable is easy or cheap!! I'm also leaning towards fabbing my own bracket....$95 is not cheap. Thanks 

Last edited by mainiac1 (3/04/2014 4:52 PM)

3/04/2014 5:13 PM  #12

I was trying to figure all this stuff out and have given up and intend to order a March system with a mid-mount compressor and serpentine belts.  However, I think you could fab some brackets to duplicate the setup if you don't want all the shiny stuff.  This configuration uses a 7176 style Sanden compressor which Vintage says will work fine - it is found on some smaller cars and I suppose with enough work you could find a suitable doner car.  March sells two different manifolds for the compressor you can find in their links.  The first link is the install directions which is mostly a drawing http://www.marchperf.com/instructions/Ford%20Small%20and%20Big%20Block/30168_instructions.pdf    The second link is to the belt system. http://www.marchperf.com/pg74.html   If you go to the bottom of the page it has links for the compressor and on that page you can also find to the manifolds.  If I had the time, I would try to make my own but time and patience seems to be running thin along with my wallet. Not suggesting that you buy this system - just suggesting an alternative design that you may be able to adapt to what you have.  Vintage, by the way, says that they can work with the compressor on either side - it just needs to be clarified when ordering and the build hoses, etc., to match.

3/05/2014 2:47 PM  #13

Man, this ac install in this 66 coupe is turning into a reall @ss pain! Been on the phone ewith Wizard Works in GA, and Old Air Products, and Corky. Had them put a hold on my new system till I figure some stuff out, like if I can mount the compressor on the passengers side under the alternator using what  i think is the empty smog pump bracket. What style and size condensor to go with, since I have a 27" 2 core radiator with the core support trimmed away, the normal condencer they sell won't mount up to my radiator, and if I can mount the compressor on pass side, it will use a diff condensor w the line on that side too. What style/size electric fans to go with since 4-5/8" between radiator and waterpump pulley is not enough clearence for a mech fan and clutch. Buddy of mine locally is using a temp switch to control his elect fans, so hopefully he can get me a p/n for the switch so I can use that instead of a fancy high $$ controller.

3/05/2014 5:16 PM  #14

Have you abandoned the idea of using the stock fox body ac compressor?  Michael says his blows cold with the R134a conversion, and he lives in a hot climate state. How will that work in the stock location on the engine under the hood? 

3/05/2014 5:36 PM  #15

The 709 Sanden is supposed to be pretty good and I'm really wanting to tuck the compressor down outa site. Not gonna be easy by the looks.

3/06/2014 6:34 AM  #16

MarkinSC wrote:

Have you abandoned the idea of using the stock fox body ac compressor?  Michael says his blows cold with the R134a conversion, and he lives in a hot climate state. How will that work in the stock location on the engine under the hood? 

Old Air Products sells a bracket that lets you rotate the compressor to 3 oclock and that gets the fittings down from hitting the hood, but the brackets have slots every which way which looks like it would be a PITA to get the belt alignment right, that and I'm cheap...$95 I could spend on something else! at sent me some pics and explanation of his mount for passeger side which I'm gonna work on Sat/Sunday. Buddy of mine is picking up a compressor in Atanta today and bringing it down Fri night. I'll post some pics when I get it done,

3/06/2014 6:38 AM  #17

Wont you need custom hoses made then?  At least with the stock fox ac compressor in the stock location on the engine, you can just buy standard hoses and a stock serpentine belt.

3/06/2014 6:49 AM  #18

Old Air Products put a hold on my order till we figure out what I need. Gonna have to go with an electric fan set-up, cause flex fan won't draw enough air through condencer and mech fan and clutch won't fit. Also where I have trimmed the radiator support (Front end ), they will have to match up a condencer to fit.

Last edited by mainiac1 (3/06/2014 6:50 AM)

3/06/2014 9:09 AM  #19

So, if you have decided on the electric fan, the Ford Contour fan is worth considering.  OEM performance, widely available at pick n pulls in contours and cougars.  They are low profile, 2 speed dual fan units which fit in tight areas and leave room at the waterpump due to the spacing of the dual fan motors, and they move a lot of air.  They are 24" wide, which will require some modification to install on your 27" radiator.  Then you will need to decide how to control the thing......

3/06/2014 10:33 AM  #20

I agree, it is a pain to piece the whole system together yourself, but it is SOOOO much cheaper to do it that way!

I am using the factory Fox compressor because I found one sitting on the shelf in my garage. I didn't know if it even worked, but I figured it would be good for mock-up. I have been running that same compressor with R134A through it for several years. The pressure is still good, and it will freeze you out. I am using the factory option A/C unit for the 66. I went to www.coldhose.com to get all the stuff I needed including the condensor and drier. They have kits of sorts that help you get everything you need. I replaced the expansion valve on the evaporator and got an adapter so that I could use an o-ring valve on the core. The discharge is still a flared fitting, but everything else is an o-ring fitting. The hose kit that they send you is prefect. you mock everything up and just cut the hoses with a razor blade. I took them to a hydraulic supplier in town and they crimped the hoses for me for real cheap. Be sure to mark the hose and fitting with a sharpie so that they are clocked correctly when they get crimped.

My total to add A/C to my car, that never had it before:
Free old compressor
$300 for the inside A/C unit
$160 for condensor, drier, expansion valve, hoses and a huge bag of fittings and o-rings - I only used half of them, but it gave me options so that it was just right to me.
$25 to crimp the hoses
$15 for two cans of freon
Free - I already owned a vacuum pump and A/C gauges

I hoe this helps!
BobN

3/06/2014 10:41 AM  #21

Interseting Bob....I might do that as there are  going to be special order parts any way. Guess I'll have to price it out separatly and see. I don't have much choice on the side as I'm putting a relay box next to radiator on drivers side, unless the lines were low. I kind iof like the idea of hiding the compressor under pass side head and keeping all my lines and wiring over there too.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.