FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2013 7:09 PM  #1

power steering

Is there a source for a small bodied power steering pump that useses the standard mount points  on a small block ford?

If its worth doing do it right !

4/24/2013 7:57 PM  #2

Re: power steering

There are several pumps that can fit the SBF.  I have a KRC aluminum one on my 351W.  You can buy the brackets from Speedway for about $50.  They now offer it with an integral reservoir.  Mine has a separate one.  There are also alot of circle-track pumps that get into the $100 to $200 range.  Then there is the GM HAM CAN type that several here are using.  Also the 90's era pumps will fit but I don;t know if they meet your "smaller" criteria.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/25/2013 10:03 AM  #3

Re: power steering

Most of the newer American cars use the Saginaw II pump with either an attached or detached reservoir. It is really small and you could easily make an adapter plate so it would bolt to any existing brackets you may have.  I made my own brackets and go the reservoir from a jeep (it looked the best to me). The other option I was playing with is some 1965 mustangs had an external reservoir and it would also work with that.  It is super small, light, and has worked like a champ for me.  Oh yeah, and they are cheap.  I got one used for $15 that uses an external reservoir, and then I bought mine new for $50 and then another $15 for the reservoir new as well.

Without brackets or pulleys, the pump is about 3 inches in diameter and about 4.5 inches long including the input shaft.  Ford, chevy, and dodge cars and trucks use similar pumps. the body of the pump comes in iron painted black or natural aluminum. there are three bolt bosses that pass all the way through the pump at 6, 9, and 12 o'clock positions. Steve's KRC pump is very similar.

BobN

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.