FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2013 9:41 PM  #1

Question for you guys that bought TKO 600's

Can I ask how much you paid? Just trying to compare prices to an Astro A-5 rated at 575 ft lbs of TQ. I've been quoted 3885.00 shipped inc. core, RAM Dual Friction Clutch, Quick Time steel bellhousing, HD fork, Tri-Ax shifter, speedo gear, and DS yoke.

4/25/2013 7:14 AM  #2

Re: Question for you guys that bought TKO 600's

That 's about what i paid Keisler except i got a ford bellhousing and custom  length driveshaft and a trans mount that didnt work.

4/25/2013 7:25 AM  #3

On the web site, it looks like the A-5 is a modded T-5.  The list on the A-5 is $2895 compared to the TKO 600 at $2295.  So, it is somewhat apples and oranges to compare prices for 600's from other companies unless I am mis-reading their info.  You may want to look at Forte and others and also check to see what gear types are used to make sure the high torque and horsepower ratings don't come at the expense of noise.  What year is your car?  The T-5 based transmissions will fit much better in 65/66 without tunnel mods and even on 67 and up the basic TKO installation kits may leave you with a driveline angle of 5 degrees or more which is generally too steep.  The package price seems pretty reasonable but you will need to also consider what clutch linkage you will use - hydraulic or cable so more dollars are involved regardless of T-5 or TKO.

4/25/2013 8:02 AM  #4

GPatrick wrote:

On the web site, it looks like the A-5 is a modded T-5.  The list on the A-5 is $2895 compared to the TKO 600 at $2295.  So, it is somewhat apples and oranges to compare prices for 600's from other companies unless I am mis-reading their info.  You may want to look at Forte and others and also check to see what gear types are used to make sure the high torque and horsepower ratings don't come at the expense of noise.  What year is your car?  The T-5 based transmissions will fit much better in 65/66 without tunnel mods and even on 67 and up the basic TKO installation kits may leave you with a driveline angle of 5 degrees or more which is generally too steep.  The package price seems pretty reasonable but you will need to also consider what clutch linkage you will use - hydraulic or cable so more dollars are involved regardless of T-5 or TKO.

Thanks Gary, my car is a 66. When I first started I had grand plans of making a T-56 work, but I can see that's not going to happen without quite a bit of work and even then I might end up with questionable driveline angles. You are correct the A-5 is a worked over (heavily) T-5. I've heard good things about Astro over G-Force, but I have no firsthand experience. That is also a really good point on potential noise on the high HP/TQ units, I'll check. Thank you!

Oh I also meant to add I have the full MS pedal setup and cable clutch, although I might look at hydrualic if I end up with a high effort pedal.

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/25/2013 8:03 AM)

4/25/2013 8:13 AM  #5

I think the clutch you are looking at should be OK with the cable.  Their web site unfortunately does not provide much information on what they do to modify the transmission to get what they claim in ratings.  After just completing my tunnel mods for the TKO in my 66, if you can get a T-5 to fit I would recommend going that route.  Looks like you can work with them to get different overdrive ratios to mate the transmission to your rear-end and your engine.

For apples to apples, try G-force for comparison shopping.  They have helical cut synchronized T-5's that would be comparable to the A-5.  I don't have experience with either of them.

4/25/2013 11:46 AM  #6

My TKO600 was $2195 shipped.  I also bought an original Ford bellhousing for $159.  Driveshaft yoke was $79.   I got the Centerforce clutch from Summit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.