FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2013 12:44 PM  #1

1968 Brake light switch

Is there a way to test a 1968 mustang brake light switch. Brake light stays on, all the time.

4/22/2013 2:38 PM  #2

Re: 1968 Brake light switch

If you jiggle the pedal or pull back on the pedal does it go off?  For some reason, alot of 68's have that issue.  I would replace it with a new one.  You could file the flat end of the booster shaft slightly, but if you go too far, it will come on later than needed.

That answer assumes a stock power brake pedal with a stock original style booster.  If you have CHANGED anything about the pedal or booster or master cylinder, let me know exactly what you have.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/23/2013 8:30 AM  #3

Thanks Steve, I did try to jiggle the pedal and the light stays on. The car is a stock no power brake set up. I did order a new switch. I'll have it later today. I will be contacting you , hopefully sooner than later on upgrading to power brakes. Much needed with drums all around. As for the switch, does it use the tang that slips over the master cylinder to complete the circuit ?? Thanks again for your response.

Joe

4/23/2013 2:10 PM  #4

carnutjoe wrote:

Thanks Steve, I did try to jiggle the pedal and the light stays on. The car is a stock no power brake set up. I did order a new switch. I'll have it later today. I will be contacting you , hopefully sooner than later on upgrading to power brakes. Much needed with drums all around. As for the switch, does it use the tang that slips over the master cylinder to complete the circuit ?? Thanks again for your response.

Joe

There are two different brake switches for the 67-68, one for pwr and one for manual brake. Both are a PITA so set up.
 If you are planing to change from one to the other it's an issue.
 you would be better off with a "T" in the brake line and using a hydraulic switch, which Ford should have done in the begining.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/23/2013 2:16 PM  #5

The tang that slips over the master cylinder??????????

The switch is activated by very slight pressure moving the plunger of the switch.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/26/2013 8:11 AM  #6

Thanks Steve, I replaced the switch and all is well again. I also found out, the switch that was in place was not a 1968. On the pressure switch as you say Rudi, it's probably the way to go. Since this switch is working now, next round I'll try the pressure switch. You know these oldies, there alway's a next round. Thanks a bunch guys,
Joe

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.