FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2014 9:28 AM  #1

Brake Line routing part 2

Just finished my brake lines from the proportioning valve to the rear end.  There is not one place on the entire run that the brake line makes contact with the car.  These rubber insulated clamps really do a nice job.  NO worries about vibration!

3/19/2014 1:09 PM  #2

Re: Brake Line routing part 2

You've done really clean work, and I hate to be ah nag ,BUT safety calls for it. You really shouldn't have your lines so far to the outside of the car. They can be cut or crimped buy ah jack or in the event of an accident. Also couplers are ah no no, and I see you have at least 2 in one line.

It's hard to type "funny"

3/19/2014 4:08 PM  #3

And why are couplers a no no? They are the same type of connection as the rest of the system. Have you ever seen how many connections some brands like Volvo have on their anti locking brake system?  Nice work Kris.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/19/2014 4:33 PM  #4

Very nice work.  Couplers are fine. 

I was also wondering why you routed the lines outside the frame rails?  And, do you plan on having tailpipes on the car?  Or is yours the one with the exhaust done  Eleanor style?
Using the 69 rear hose directs the hose away from exhaust, but if you have side exit, that does make that part a little simpler.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/19/2014 4:59 PM  #5

Simple math, more connections = more chances to leak. Yeah I'll admit it'd prolly be fine, but y'alled have to admit ah solid line would be better.

3/19/2014 5:23 PM  #6

If one Cupler does not leak why would the other?  Also my exhaust system will be routed under the rear end Due to my rear suspension.  I have seen many late model cars that have brake lines running right next to the rocker panel?  If I were to get hit so hard it gets to my brake lines
I will have much more to worry about!!

3/19/2014 6:23 PM  #7

Very clean install

3/19/2014 6:31 PM  #8

Right but most modern cars that I can recall seeing have a rocker that hangs down further. Where as bottom of our cars is relatively flat leaving little protection for your lines from any number of hazards ,Jacks, jack stands, road debris , j walkers. Thats why the factory put the fuel & brake lines at the 10 o'clock position in the trans tunnel to keep them as far away from Murphy's law as possible..

Last edited by Derek (3/19/2014 8:13 PM)

3/19/2014 8:53 PM  #9

Ever seen what a busted u-joint can do to a tunnel routed brake line?  Its always SOMETHING!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/19/2014 9:25 PM  #10

I have seen what a drive shaft can do to brake lines and fuel line first hand!  This exactly why I am runniing my brake lines and fuel lines as far away from the tunnel as possible.

3/20/2014 7:22 AM  #11

Dang you do good work!  I'm envious.  I just don't have the patience to make things look that good.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/20/2014 7:29 AM  #12

Kristang wrote:

I have seen what a drive shaft can do to brake lines and fuel line first hand!  This exactly why I am runniing my brake lines and fuel lines as far away from the tunnel as possible.

I'll give you that , but the next best place would be along the INSIDE of the frame rail. Rather all the way to the outside of the car, to be protected by only ah 1" pinch weld.

3/20/2014 7:33 AM  #13

John, I would have done exactly that but my frame connectors are round tube and don't touch the floor.  With that gap there, it just wouldn't work.

3/20/2014 9:20 AM  #14

Ive read the comments here.   I think it looks fine.  I dont see a problem with the placement, nor the connectors.    I look at it like this.   A car with that level of detail sustains any damage, its going to be addressed quickly anyhow.  I could see the argument of the brake line placement on a daily driver beater car that is never going to be crawled underneath again, until there is a problem, but on a car like this, if you hit something whilst crusing, you are going to KNOW it, and you are going to immediately inspect it. 

What we should be looking at for the future when building these, is What if I have to replace this section of brake line?  what all is going to have to come apart to repair it?   That is where the connectors come in.  

I think you did a nice job!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/20/2014 9:37 AM  #15

Thanks Greg!  You hit it right on the head!  I strategically placed the unions so IF I ever had an incident, I could easily replace that section without having to replace the entire line!  Thanks for your comments!!

3/20/2014 12:31 PM  #16

Only one comment...other than "very nice job".

I see you ran the rear line through the cross member.  I agree with the idea, however, the photo is a bit blurry and I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you are using a rubber grommet as an insulator through that hole.  Please don't.

Rubber grommets, in my experience, will quickly allow the line to rub and  vibrate on the  edge of the  hole.  I fould  some hard plastic, snap-in  gormmets that work very well and won't soon deteriorate.

I fear that with rubber, you will have a leaking line after not many miles.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/20/2014 6:16 PM  #17

OK, I ran my line to the back inside the car along side the wiring on drivers door. I did not run it in the wiring trough ,but beside it. A tee at the back and two bulkhead fittings through the trunk floor at the right spot for the flex to the caliper. I used the green looking stuff I got at NAPA for the hard lines. I came through the firewall almost straight back from the master cylinder. My master has the fittings on the outside so it was really clean. I am now thinking I will remove the front line that I ran under hood alond the firewall and bring it inside too just to clean things up a little more.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.