FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2014 3:32 PM  #1

cobra rear caliper banjo size

Does anyone know offhand what the banjo bolt size for the rear disc calipers is?  I think its 3/8 x 24.  I have two other sizes in the cabinet and it isnt either one of them.  Seems like that is what is left to try.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/18/2014 3:56 PM  #2

Re: cobra rear caliper banjo size

From what I can find at Dorman they are metric - http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=parttype&year=1996&make=Ford&model=Mustang&parttype=Brake%20Hose%20Banjo%20Bolt  

=14pxBrake Hose Bolts M10-1.5 X 27.8mmApplication Summary: Ford 2003-95, Ford 1989-81, Lincoln 1997-95, Mercury 1989-81

These are the specs for the fronts so you wil have to size the rear depending on the banjo arrangement you use.  For grins, I would try the 3/8" as I don't seem to have 100% luck on bolt size recommendations.  3/8" banjo lines will fit if you are going aftermarket.

3/18/2014 4:02 PM  #3

Almost positive they are metric

3/18/2014 6:36 PM  #4

the metric bolts are definately no joy.    Gonna hit up the parts store next time I head out.  Ive got three different sized banjo bolts in the drawer,  metric 1.5 size still being in a box. But I think all three of them are metric.  none of them fit.    I dont seem to have any 3/8 x 24 bolts of any kind around to try. 

I will get it figgured out,  I was just looking for a quick answer.   

My tabs to weld on to the spring u-bolts came in the mail today, but Im still waiting on my rear hoses anyway.   Gonna try 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee hoses.  If they dont work, I will have them for my Jeep.  LOL

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/18/2014 6:47 PM  #5

I hit google again - looks like M10x1 is what you need.  I don't see any US/English threads.  I have a box of the banjo bolts for the Cobra calipers so I'll go look and measure.

I did some searching and there are indeed different thread size banjo bolts for different year Cobra calipers. Here's what I gleaned off the net:

1994 - 2003 (starting with August 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars) Cobra calipers use M10 x 1.0 banjo bolt.

1999 - 2003 (starting with August 2002 production date of 2003 model year cars) Mustang GT calipers use M10 x 10.0.

2003 - present Cobra and GT calipers use M10 x 1.5.

1989 - 1995 (gen1 and gen2) Taurus (all) use M10 x 1.5. The '89 bolt may be a bit longer (unconfirmed).

1996 - present (gen3 and gen4) Taurus (all) use M10 x 1.0 (according to those who replied above).

3/18/2014 7:07 PM  #6

I found my original parts order from Rock Auto.  I got 96 Cobra calipers.  The bolts that I ordered from Rock Auto right off of the Cobra section for a 96 are 10 x 1.5.  I looked at the package for the bolts and it says 10x1.5.  The Dorman part number is 484-202.1.  For the aftermarket hoses I bought the bolts are a hair too long but I will just cut them down.  For the original style hose fitting they would be fine.  I am not sure what calipers you have but from the previous post, it does appear that Ford changed things along the way.  I just tried a 3/8 -16 and a 3/8 - 24 and neither fits.  The 3/8 -16 starts to thread in but is loose initially and binds up after about 4 threads.  The -24 ain't even close.  What year calipers do you have?  Any chance that you have GT calipers?  Sorry I can't be any more help.  http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-19935-484-2021.aspx 

3/18/2014 7:19 PM  #7

When the calipers went to the RED color in 2003, the bolts went to the coarse thread.  All subsequent Cobra calipers use the coarse thread.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/18/2014 7:34 PM  #8

I just went downstairs and checked everything that I have.   There is no way that 10 x 1.5 will go into the rear calipers. ( However they do fit the front ones.)

3/8 x 16 will start to screw in and it feels very loose.  Its not right.    I think these things are either M 10  1.0  or M10 1.25 threads.   I do not have any known threads to double check it and there is no way Im checking it with a tap.     

I know the threads in these calipers are very clean.   I didnt see a way to identify offhand what year calipers they are.  

3/18/2014 9:24 PM  #9

Problem solved they are definately  10 x 1.5.     I finally got a bright idea.  check the other caliper, dumba$$.    10 x 1.5 screwed right in.   The threads on the one are buggered up, even though they look fine.    

3/18/2014 9:32 PM  #10

Glad you got it sorted out.  What are you going to use for flex hoses?  Are you going to run them to the axle or to the frame?  I think I'm mounting them to the frame but it is hard finding a spot that is clear of exhaust, suspension, and that won't get pinched by the axle.

3/18/2014 9:35 PM  #11

Now you have to figure out what length banjo bolt you need. There are three lengths. I think the one you need is the 28 mm one.

3/19/2014 9:24 AM  #12

GPatrick wrote:

Glad you got it sorted out.  What are you going to use for flex hoses?  Are you going to run them to the axle or to the frame?  I think I'm mounting them to the frame but it is hard finding a spot that is clear of exhaust, suspension, and that won't get pinched by the axle.

Well,  I am going to try to use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-H381143-Hydraulic-Brake-Hose/dp/B001PYAQZY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1395242014&sr=8-5&keywords=2004+jeep+grand+cherokee+brake+hoses  
There is a separate part # for the other side.   

And these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Line-Mount-Tabs-With-Clips-4Pk-910-31310-/360696992732?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item53fb3753dc

The plan is to weld the tabs to a spring u bolt. I do not know how its going to work yet, as I havent got the hoses in the mail.  Because they are kind of short.   If they do not work, I have a 2004 Jeep, and I will use them on it.  And find something else.  Hoping it makes a nice, clean installation though.   Dont like the bunched up hose or loops.  

Last edited by Greg B (3/19/2014 9:25 AM)

3/20/2014 8:21 PM  #13

I got the hoses in the mail today,  I crawled under the convertible and took a look.   I think this short hose is going to be about perfect to weld the tab onto the spring u bolt.    I did have to make the hole in the hose bigger with a larger drill bit for the banjo bolt to fit through, that might not be for the faint of heart here, but it was really simple and straightforward.   This hose is roughly 7 inches.  

3/21/2014 6:03 AM  #14

I did my flex lines with a tab on a U bolt like you describe, Greg.
Works well.

3/21/2014 6:04 AM  #15

BTW, Good Luck on the bath fan install.

3/21/2014 6:44 AM  #16

Yeah.......the bath fan.    I was doing that yesterday.   Who among us would think that I bought all that rear end stuff without my wife getting something in return?  LOL (she is a smart negotiator)  Im just finishing up the bathroom remodel.   It all went well until yesterday.   I was going to run the hose from the fan out under the soffit.  I special ordered a soffit exhaust, got up on the ladder, cut a 5 inch hole in the soffit and the wood underneath, just to realize that 1, theres only about 2 1/2 inches between the roofline and the wall line, and 2) it was covered up with wood anyway.   

So today, I got a man coming out this morning to put vent in the roof and button the fan up for me.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.