FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2014 3:09 PM  #1

Who makes the best quarter skins??

I'm in the market for 65-66 quarter skins. I've searched the usual suspects sites NPD, Mustangs unlimited, Kentucky mustang, Dynacorn. And none of them give any info about who the manufaturer is, or the gauge of the panel. So who makes the best? I doubt there all the same gauge and or quality.

It's hard to type "funny"

3/19/2014 3:21 PM  #2

Re: Who makes the best quarter skins??

I've used NPD, California Mustang, Mustangs Plus, & Sacramento Mustang for sheet metal.  The fender I got from Calif Mustang was crap.  It bolted up fine, but the edges were way off.

The others have supplied patch panels, all of which have worked great.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/19/2014 3:44 PM  #3

I have recently (within the last year) purchased a Dynacorn rear quarter for the driver's side and just last weekend a Dynacorn skin for the passenger's side.  I only needed the bottom rear section for the passenger side.  It appears but I can't say for sure that the two pieces are not manufactured by the same outfit.  The driver's quarter was very nice - sharp bends, a well-formed area where the rear valence attaches, etc.  The skin was not nearly as nice.  The bend around the wheel opening is fair but the section where the valence attaches is pretty rough.  It will work much better than the standard patch panel that everyone sells but don't come close to fitting.  I saw that CJ or one of the others had quarter panels from Dynacorn at a very reasonable price.  Problem is that to Denver the shipping is $185 each.  If you can find a local supplier that has Dynacorn quarters I would buy the full quarter and cut what you need rather than a skin.  You obviously have better metal working skills than I do but if I pay $79 for something that takes me 5 hours to fix/fit and $150 for something that fits without headaches, I go for the $150 any more.  A lot may depend on how much you need.  The full quarter had a nice sharp top edge that would allow you to cut the top valley of the original and the top valley of the quarter and have a virtually hidden repair.  The top radius of the patch has a rounded edge that is not even close to the original.  If you do your patch panel on the side of the quarter it is easy to end up with waves that are hard to work out.  Just my $.02.  Trying to weld my patch on right now but if you need side-by-side pics of the two let me know and I'll post them later.

3/19/2014 6:36 PM  #4

Thanks G, Yeah I alway like pics. So I called Dynacorn and they said Mustangs unlimited is one of there venders but that they mite have to order them for me. If I can get the parts through M.U. I can drive there and save myself around ah $150.00 bucks in shipping..Oh and he also told me that most body panels are 17 gauge incase anybody was wondering..

Last edited by Derek (3/19/2014 8:02 PM)

3/19/2014 7:42 PM  #5

17 sounds good and thick unless you actually measure - maybe that is a metric gauge reading (not)!  The stock/original quarters are 20 gauge.  The Dynacorn full quarter is also 20 gauge.  The Dynacorn skin that I purchased last weekend is 22 gauge.  The piece I cut out is relatively small and not terribly structural but it would have been nice if was the same thickness as original.  This first pic is the full quarter top edge showing the bend radius.  Next is the wheel opening showing it's radius.  Both are close to original.

Here is the upper corner at the passenger door of the skin followed by the upper corner of the original.  Note that the door is temporarily hung and is not sitting on the striker in case you are wondering why it is not sitting correctly.  You can see that the skin has rounded edges and would not be suitable to seam along the top without significant work or if you didn't care how it looked.  At 22 gauge, I don't think that is ideal anyway.

Here is the skin in black versus the driver's side "patch" where the rear valance mounts.  Neither is great but the skin is closer.  The next shot shows the original passenger side followed by the installed patch on the driver's side that I cut out of the full quarter.

My repair involved cutting off the lower portion of the quarter that had been repaired with chicken wire, aluminum foil, etc.  The bottom few inches of the outer wheel house was gone so I bought the "patch" (I put patch in quotes because they fit so bad I can't put what I would like to put in for a name) and cut out what I needed.  Turns out that the bottom of the patch is wider than stock so the repair patch for the quarter would not wrap around.  I had to cut up the "patch" to make it fit.  I had to do the same on the driver's side.  I suspect that a full outer wheel house would be a better part.

Both the full quarter and the skin had issues fitting around the back end and rear light panel.  They needed tweaking to get them to fit back where the original pieces came out.  This is the problem area before final cleanup/straightening before welding. You can also see the trunk drop-down section.  These patches also were not even close.  Fortunately, there was enough of the old rusty pieces to make a pattern.  On the passenger's side I was able to keep the back half of the drop-down.  It is a little wavy from the old spot welds but pulls up flat to the quarter.  I put these in first so I would know where the quarter needed to attach at the bottom.

If you do go to MU they may have quarters from different vendors so you can compare.  I saw at CJ that they supposedly have new quarters made from "new tooling".  Maybe they have some better skins.  I was talking with the local Mustang shop about some of the patch panels and he said they have been stamping the same stuff for 30 years - they didn't fit then and they don't fit now.  I asked why the still sell them and he said "it all depends on how you want it to look when its done".  When you have invested as much time as you have on your restoration, I think you're in the same boat as me - you want it to look great!

3/19/2014 8:04 PM  #6

My car needed quarter panel work, and I got the panel from NPD. I decided to leave the joints alone after  I got the panel home and just cut out the parts that were rusty or did not line up. For me it was the best solution since my patience runs short for that kind of stuff. Drilling out the welds and making the visible joint look good was not for me. Since there was not a problem with the joints, I chose to make the welds and all where my skills at body work were viable. My car is not a show piece, but a real nice driver. That is what my goal was, and it is looking good!

3/19/2014 8:08 PM  #7

Wow!  sorry, but I forgot to say all the panels I have bought were a maximum of 22 guage. Nothing I have bought for the Mustang is near 17 guage.

3/19/2014 8:12 PM  #8

Wow thank you for the detailed pics! Yeah It was too late today to call MU so I'll call the tomorrow and get the scoop on the quarters they offer. I'm leaning towards the Dynacorns, but if I go there in person maybe they let me compare for myself ?

3/19/2014 9:27 PM  #9

Derek wrote:

Wow thank you for the detailed pics! Yeah It was too late today to call MU so I'll call the tomorrow and get the scoop on the quarters they offer. I'm leaning towards the Dynacorns, but if I go there in person maybe they let me compare for myself ?

That's a great idea.  When I get parts that must fit well, I go to local parts places so I can see for myself the quality and also have a place I can return to to see a face to yell at.  Face to face is always the best bet with Mustang body parts.  Besides, most of the sellers buy from the same manufacturers.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/19/2014 11:23 PM  #10

Do not buy them from mustangs unlimited they are the worst fitting pieces of s$$t. Your car would look like a 59 cadilac after you install them

3/20/2014 9:14 AM  #11

Or you could have Mastercraft do the work...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/20/2014 9:27 AM  #12

MustangSteve wrote:

Wow thats ah new low. Not only did they destroy ah mustang but they took ah 59 cadillac with it...sad

3/20/2014 9:30 AM  #13

Derek wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Wow thats ah new low. Not only did they destroy ah mustang but they took ah 59 cadillac with it...sad

I think this one has lost its identity.  Is that a Mustang, T-Bird, or transforming into the Batmobile?  I shall call it...........Finnegan.

Last edited by Greg B (3/20/2014 9:30 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/20/2014 12:17 PM  #14

Naw, all it needs is a set of 22's and a wax job!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

3/21/2014 6:50 AM  #15

Don't know the quality but CJ has some of their quarter panels on sale.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/21/2014 7:50 AM  #16

I measured the remains of the parts I got from NPD, and like was said on here before, the full quarter I cut up to get the piece I needed to repair drivers side was 20 guage. The lower patch panel I put on the passenger side was 22 guage. Must be from different suppliers. It appears that the whole panels are better stuff than the skins or patch panels.

3/21/2014 8:47 AM  #17

DC wrote:

I measured the remains of the parts I got from NPD, and like was said on here before, the full quarter I cut up to get the piece I needed to repair drivers side was 20 guage. The lower patch panel I put on the passenger side was 22 guage. Must be from different suppliers. It appears that the whole panels are better stuff than the skins or patch panels.

Yeah I've bin researching the interweb and calling all the parts houses about this for the past couple days. All I've come up with so far is it's ah roll of the dice as to the quality and thickness of the product each house has in at the time? Depending on what manufacturer they bought a shippment from that month. Because of this none of them list ah gauge thickness of there panels in there catalogs therefor the sales people have no idea either. Anyway I have ah guy at Mustangs unlimited looking into ordering everything from Dynacorn for me, he's supposed to get back to me today with ah quote, so we'll see were that goes....

Last edited by Derek (3/21/2014 8:49 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.