FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2014 2:12 PM  #1

Shifter information

I have a Toploader from a 71 Torino with 351C with the small input shaft. I am wanting to install in a 1968 Mustang. I want to use a Hurst shifter for this. Which shifter would I order for this?  I assume only the install kit would differ between the Torino and Mustang. Also will my standard driveshaft work. Currently car is set up for a C4. Thanks for your help!

3/17/2014 2:24 PM  #2

Re: Shifter information

Davide Kee of 4speedtoploaders.com sells Hurst shifters and as the name implies, has extensive toploader experience.  He should be able to set you up with the correct shifter or point you in the right direction with tail shaft housings, etc.  http://www.4speedtoploaders.com  

I also had great service from  https://hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idcategory=8  They specialize in muscle car shifters and had very good pricing on the shifter handle I bought there recently.  I would start with David, though with his toploader background.

Last edited by GPatrick (3/17/2014 3:09 PM)

3/17/2014 4:35 PM  #3

Kr, if you have the original Ford 4 speed shifter, I'd be interested in buying it.

3/17/2014 5:01 PM  #4

Here is data on driveshafts.  A lot will depend on the yoke type - 3 or 4 from what I can see.  You need to make sure the yoke you have is compatible with the trans you are trying to install.  If not, you will need to get the proper yoke and potentially cut the driveshaft.  A complete new driveshaft can run $150 to $200 and is sometimes worth it if the old one is beat up.  If the existing shaft is serviceable you can get it cut, welded, and balanced for a reasonable price.  Best thing to do is to get the trans fully installed and then measure.  Anything you try to do in advance may not work.  Each car is a little different so you won't know until you know.  http://www.mustangtek.com/differential/Driveshaft.htm

3/17/2014 6:48 PM  #5

Pretty sure a new tailshaft housing will be needed. IIRC, the torinos mounted farther forward on the the trans.

Last edited by darren (3/17/2014 6:49 PM)

3/17/2014 6:59 PM  #6

Do you have the tailhousing casting number?  Total length of the transmission and the tailhousing length would be helpful.

3/17/2014 9:04 PM  #7

Ditto Darren's comment about tailhousing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/18/2014 6:26 AM  #8

Once you get the correct tailshaft the driveshaft from the C4 will work just fine, at least mine did.

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

3/18/2014 12:53 PM  #9

There's a tailshaft housing identification site with pictures that may help you - http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm

I agree with the comment above that the C4 driveshaft works with the toploader if you have the correct tailhousing - but not necessarily the other way around.  My experience indicates that the C4 driveshaft is about an inch shorter than the one used with the toploader.

Last edited by John Ha (3/18/2014 12:55 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/18/2014 1:42 PM  #10

darren wrote:

Pretty sure a new tailshaft housing will be needed. IIRC, the torinos mounted farther forward on the the trans.

Mustang tailshaft housings have the mounting points at the back/end of the tailshaft.  the mount will be right at the beginning of the enlarged portion at the rear.  There are two other types of housings.  One has the mounts in the middle and the other has its mounts toward the front of the housing.  the differences are obvious.  You cannot mis-id them.  I believe there is more than one part number involved. See the photo below.  It is for a Mustang.  I got it from Wickipedia.  The yokes from C4, top loader, and T5 are interchangeable.  At least mine has been used on all 3.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (3/18/2014 1:46 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/18/2014 3:29 PM  #11

Quite a few different tailshaft housings out there.

3/21/2014 11:49 AM  #12

Thanks for all the help, I believe it does have the mount for the shifter moved more towards the front. I will check this weekend. As far as having the original shifter, somehow it was lost during a move. I even had the original style hurst shifter T handle.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.