FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2014 6:59 PM  #1

1969 cougar hard starting

Hi I am new here and new to classic Fords/Mercurys.  I have a 1969 cougar 351 2barrel auto PS, that is bone stock.  I sat for awhile and when I tried to start it would start with alot of black sooty smoke.  It would not stay idling unless I held gas down, then it would stall.  Smells like  raw gas,  I did notice some gas coming out of the gaskets at the intake. Any tips would be appreciated, and happy to be here.

3/25/2014 7:12 PM  #2

Re: 1969 cougar hard starting

Gaskets and rubber parts in carbs don't like sitting around for too long. Might need a rebuild kit.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

3/25/2014 7:16 PM  #3

Ok thanks for the reply,  It sat for a long time

3/25/2014 7:21 PM  #4

Check for stuck float in the Carb.

3/25/2014 7:27 PM  #5

Welcome to the FYIFORD FORUM. Glad you found us.

That carb is real easy to rebuild, but there are no short-cuts to one that has been sitting more than a couple of years.  The inside will be crudded up.  Gtt a couple of cans of spray carb cleaner and diassemble it and rebuild it with a new carb kit.  Most likely , the needle and seat are totally rotted.

The alcohol in gasoline really messes them up.  Use a fuel stabilizer if you park it more than a week at a time.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/25/2014 7:31 PM  #6

sounds like the carb needs some love........as in rebuild....float is probably hanging lower than Grandpa's Depends......

3/25/2014 7:36 PM  #7

Will get a carb rebuild kit and get to work,  this is a great site here.  Thank You everyone.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.