FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2014 5:54 PM  #1

Stuck flare nut wrench

Ok , was removing a brake line attached to distribution  block on my 68 mustang. The wrench will not come off!! It's in a terrible location on the bottom of the block. My hands are literally bleeding. Any good suggestions. I feel like a fool. been wiggling it up and down, obviously the nut is now rounded off.

3/23/2014 6:49 PM  #2

Re: Stuck flare nut wrench

Any chance of having a long punch or something similar to get on the edge of the wrench then, tap it with a hammer.....

3/23/2014 8:11 PM  #3

Hit the hell out of it with an extension and hammer.  No luck. Gave up on it for the night. Hopefully I didn't ruine the threads in the block. Good thing I work with gloves on so know one will see the bruises.

3/23/2014 8:59 PM  #4

I guess the obvious smare alek answer is to RTV it real good so it doesn't rattle, then go buy a good one.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/23/2014 9:34 PM  #5

Well I was going to use some RTV on the clips that hold the hard line to the floor boards! The original ones I removed had some type of rubber gasket in the holes the clip goes into. Never been apart in 46 years

3/24/2014 5:32 AM  #6

Y'know, one of those cheap air hammers like Harbor Freight sells is VERY useful for this situation. I've broken loose several flare nuts AND bleeders by placing the hammers blunt tip against the wrench. In the past, I merely twisted the bleeders off and rounded the flare nuts. It's well worth the $  to have one!

3/24/2014 8:08 AM  #7

Well, the first thing is to get line wrench off (BTW, there are line wrenches and then there are line wrenches, cheap ones can lead you to rounded off flare nuts) Oh wait!! You can round them off with
with expensive wrenches! The only way I've found is to use Vice Grips and go for it! Not many alternatives at this point....
Howard 

3/24/2014 8:14 AM  #8

That cheap air hammer can get the wrench off; Try a metric wrench on it; I have had some experience where a metric wrench will fit on a rounded fitting. The 'hammering' effect will make the wrench come off the fitting; haven't had it fail yet!

3/24/2014 8:54 AM  #9

Fitting is loose! I'm replacing that line anyway. I just can't get wrench off. Can't turn is completly cause I run into the fender apron. I need the car on the road soon, invited to celebrate by Ford at the original Mustang reveal site of the 1964 Worlds fair.

3/24/2014 9:42 AM  #10

might end up cutting that line, loosening the remaining lines and rmoving the distro block.....it's not giving up without a fight!!

3/24/2014 10:01 AM  #11

trying to avoid removing entire block.  The other lines have been on there a looong time. reather cut the wrench

3/24/2014 6:58 PM  #12

Many years ago on a starry spring night - oops - that's a story for another day.  "Back in the Day" when I was working on this kind of stuff daily, I found - by trial and painful error (barked knuckles when the wrench broke) - that the best flare nut wrench on the market is made by Snap On.  Caution - Snap On is real proud of them.  But, the ones I bought in about 1966 are still working fine.
Enjoy

3/24/2014 8:15 PM  #13

Got it off using a large chisel and a sledgehammer!  The wrench is fine. I bought a prebent  front to back line, of course the front fitting is not correct, I need the one I just trashed. Lol. Love it.

3/24/2014 8:57 PM  #14

glad you succeeded........frustration is part of the satisfaction of keeping these cars on the road.....

3/25/2014 7:50 PM  #15

MustangSteve wrote:

I guess the obvious smare alek answer is to RTV it real good so it doesn't rattle, then go buy a good one.

LMAO...didn't know you were that funny Steve!

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.