FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2014 12:53 PM  #1

suspension options for a 65 vert

i live here in the foothills and the stock suspension isn't very good.....big surprize!!   am i wasteing my money if i was to go with a coilover set up front/rear or just front ?  i drive this car about 1000 miles a year mybe and after reading all the post on this custom suspension stuff i think i want to do this but not sure ??  i'm the kinda of guy that will just drive the car and ajust things the first time but not all the time so if i did do this to the car what system would you do that would change the car for the good but not break the bank ?   this car will have a 351W tri power with etheir a beefy fmx...i like the fmx's for some reason,mybe keep the 5 speed thats in it or go a 6 speed.....it takes me forever to make up my mind but i'm really thinking on this one!  i have seen a few rear's on ebay kinda cheap but those of you that have done this is the feedback i'm looking to here from.  thanks

Last edited by jgstang (3/29/2014 1:08 PM)

3/29/2014 1:22 PM  #2

Re: suspension options for a 65 vert

I personally  would find it difficult  to sink money into  a car that is only driven a 1000 miles a year.
But it's your car and you should do what makes you happy.
FMX's are best suited as boat anchors. With a warmed up 351, a 5-6 speed will certainly up the fun factor.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/29/2014 2:03 PM  #3

I personally didn't mind my cars suspension. I only didn't really like the steering for the leaking reason. When I did my suspension I up and lower control arms and new ball joint. I changed stock coils to 1" drop edelbrock coils and used 1" lowering coil perch. And installed edelbrock shocks, this made mu suspension even better. I love the way it rides. How ever after doin that to my car I decided to make custom upper control arms and made changed it to a ajustable coil over set up awesome.

3/29/2014 2:07 PM  #4

I would just revive the old and see how you like it. Maybe install a rack and pinion and see how you like it. Me personally couldn't be happier

3/29/2014 3:42 PM  #5

In a convertible you are limited in the effectiveness of some front suspension upgrades due to the flexibility of the chassis.  Just get your stock system set up properly and it'll be a joy to drive.

On my '65 convertible I did the Arning Drop, offset UCA shafts, roller perches moved out 3/4", new upper ball joints, new lower control arms, roller idler arm and a 3+° caster alignment.  It now drives down the road like it is on rails and just draws in snug on the turns.  It is a true joy to drive.

As soon as I can get the car back on the rack, I am going to see what it will take to remount the powersteering ram so that I can run the (otherwise manual steering) quick steer pitman and idler arm.  That way I will not be having to reel in yards of steering wheel in sharp turns.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.