FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2014 3:45 PM  #1

Im a little bummed. Took the Mustang out today for the first time

This year.  Glenn's T5 Works Awesome and shifts Great.  I actually can have a have a conversation at Hwy Speed.  I could do a pretty nice burn out.. LOL   Clutch graps pretty well when theres no oil leaking oil on it.  I worked a better half of the winter replacing the Transmission with a T5 and the rear main seal.  It leaks oil and seems like more than before.  It doesn't seem to be coming from the pan gasket.  I think its coming from the Inside the belhousing and rear main seal.  Theres oil leaking from the bottom of belhousing and from the Belhousing part way up.    I did everything according to the book for the Rear main seal.  Do you think theres a problem with the Crank?  I also added sealent to the Flywheel bolts also.  The engine runs smooth and has a lot of power.   I hate to ditch it yet.  Seems like the old 302 has 9 lives...LOL.
Thanks Steve69

3/30/2014 6:34 PM  #2

Re: Im a little bummed. Took the Mustang out today for the first time

Still betting on the valve covers or rear intake seal.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2014 8:37 AM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

Still betting on the valve covers or rear intake seal.

Thanks MS!  Ill run it again and get it up on some ramps and take a look at the rear of valve covers and intake manifold.

Thanks Steve69

3/31/2014 8:58 AM  #4

Steve I had the same oil leak on my engine. Thought it was the rear seal. But I found oil on the top rear of my engine. On the lip just passed te intake manifold. So I re torqued the intake bolts and now no oil leak.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

3/31/2014 9:29 AM  #5

Tmac wrote:

Steve I had the same oil leak on my engine. Thought it was the rear seal. But I found oil on the top rear of my engine. On the lip just passed te intake manifold. So I re torqued the intake bolts and now no oil leak.

Ill check those intake bolts also Tmac.  I haven't tighten them down in a long time.  You know I ran the car a couple of times and moved it out of the garage let it idle run it though the RPMs and running temprature.  I didn't drive it on the road because of the snow.  But there were no leaks.  But after the road drive it came out like faucet left a 5" in diameter puddle when I looked at it.

Thanks Steve69 

Last edited by Steve69 (3/31/2014 9:30 AM)

3/31/2014 12:21 PM  #6

Ya I ran my break in on an engine stand. No leaks. After a couple of trips, started leaking some on my intake bolts had come loose.

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.