FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2014 7:07 AM  #1

TRI-Y Header Help - MOD?

I bought new ceramic coated Peritronic TRI-Y Headers for my '69 302 from CJ. I know that most headers need to be slightly modified to fit. As you can see from the pictures I have clearance issues. The headers are mocked up for now.
What is the best way to get these to clear the bell housing and maybe the starter? I really don't want to beat the ceramic coating to make them clear but if that is the best way, what advice can you give? Can I grind away at the bell housing? Thanks for the help.

3/16/2014 7:31 AM  #2

Re: TRI-Y Header Help - MOD?

I have the same header on mine.  Unfortunatly chewing away at the bell housing and as bad as it sounds a BFH induced dimple on the pristine offending pipe is the answer I came up with.
 I have heard some use a spacer between the head and header, I did not want to go that route.
Because I am using an AOD I had to cut, section  and reweld the Tri-y's  down below to clear it's wider diminsions over the narrower O/E slush box.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/16/2014 7:49 AM  #3

What does CJ say?  Can you send them back and exchange them for something that fits?  

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/16/2014 8:43 AM  #4

I don't think that is acceptable and I would send them back and expect CJ would pay the shipping  back.  Obviously, the header manufacturer's set-up jig is off and should be adjusted.  CJ must know this is a problem by now.  Even the cheap stainless steel tri-y headers I got from ebay (because I knew I had to cut them up to fit my GT40P heads) didn't have those fitment issues.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

3/16/2014 9:53 AM  #5

send them back, once you dent them it's too late.  Do you have a 164 tooth bellhousing?  They may only be intended to fit with a smaller 157 tooth bell setup.

Last edited by Nasty65 (3/16/2014 9:53 AM)

3/31/2014 10:14 AM  #6

I ended up removing the standard 4" starter, ground down the bell housing until I had about .200" clearance and installed a mini Hi-Torque starter designed to take care of these clearance issues. I did not have to beat down on my new headers. I also went with the locking header bolts from Summit.

3/31/2014 1:33 PM  #7

Chelby-Ann wrote:

I ended up removing the standard 4" starter, ground down the bell housing until I had about .200" clearance and installed a mini Hi-Torque starter designed to take care of these clearance issues. I did not have to beat down on my new headers. I also went with the locking header bolts from Summit.

Way to hot-rod it!!!!!!!!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/31/2014 2:45 PM  #8

Those should have gone back to CJPony.  There are so many headers available now that bolt right on without any problems that you should not have to deal with parts that do not fit.  I see you already made them fit, so all is well, I suppose.

What about all the heat the starter will see from a pipe that close?

BTW, a 157 tooth flywheel DOES position the starter almost 1/2" farther towards the crankshaft centerline than a 165 tooth.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue you are having.

Do you have the headers in the car?  Or just on the engine stand?  I hear they do not clear the shock towers?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2014 7:57 PM  #9

Tri-Y headers are designed to fit a C-4 automatic, Not the larger AOD or 4R70W trannys.
Shortys will fit. Most LT's won't.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.