FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2014 6:40 PM  #1

Borgeson Steering

Installing a Borgeson power box on a 65 Mustang and have read about problems with the rag joint...so should I buy a U-joint or stick with the rag?

3/31/2014 9:21 PM  #2

Re: Borgeson Steering

A rag joint makes the steering wheel feel smoother, transmitting less vibration.  Most people are now also installing this lower column bearing kit when converting to Borgeson to stabilize the steering shaft.  On 65-66, if you install a shaft with no retainer of some kind at the bottom to hold the shaft in the tube, the rag joint can flex and cause the steering shaft to move up/down in the column which plays havock with horn contacts and driver confidence in steering the car.

They are on www.mustangsteve.com website.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2014 9:43 PM  #3

I bought the mustang Steve bearing kit. I highly recommend it, and have on several forums.

The only thing I would say is,  based on our experience with our 66 coupe, is that the configuration that Steve shows in the pic is not ideal for the 66 with the borgeson box. We ended up putting the shaft retaining ring inside the column on the other side of the bearing, because with it on the outside like pictured it acts as a spacer between the bottom of the column and the rag joint. As a result the bottom of the shaft doesn't extend all the way out of the firewall and makes you unable to install a mount for the column at the firewall.

We're still assembling  so I'm inclined to think I might order another, but have him assemble it with bearing mounted up inside it's bushing instead of as pictured. 

Steve -if the bearing was mounted that way, would that configuration allow the shaft retainer be flush with the bottom of the column so the bottom of the column could be closer to the rag joint? I would seriously consider ordering another with that configuration.

Thanks,

Bob

3/31/2014 11:13 PM  #4

I installed that Borgeson kit on my 66. The bottom end of the shaft does need to be supported. Because of the small distance between the firewall and rag joint I cut off the steering column at an angle to match the firewall angle. The bracket that comes with the kit that holds the column at the firewall works much better when the column is cut at an angle. With the column cut at an angle that kit that MS sells will not work. I ended up buying a bearing that fit inside the steering column.I was not able to find and axact size but I was able to make a spacer to make up the difference. The other parts I bought from the local hardware store.

Last edited by KeithP (3/31/2014 11:13 PM)

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/31/2014 11:55 PM  #5

I used Mustang Steves lower shaft bearing, worked OK for me. Not a lot of room to work above Borg box, but worked out well.

Howard

4/01/2014 5:19 AM  #6

rbtconsultants wrote:

I bought the mustang Steve bearing kit. I highly recommend it, and have on several forums.

The only thing I would say is,  based on our experience with our 66 coupe, is that the configuration that Steve shows in the pic is not ideal for the 66 with the borgeson box. We ended up putting the shaft retaining ring inside the column on the other side of the bearing, because with it on the outside like pictured it acts as a spacer between the bottom of the column and the rag joint. As a result the bottom of the shaft doesn't extend all the way out of the firewall and makes you unable to install a mount for the column at the firewall.

We're still assembling  so I'm inclined to think I might order another, but have him assemble it with bearing mounted up inside it's bushing instead of as pictured. 

Steve -if the bearing was mounted that way, would that configuration allow the shaft retainer be flush with the bottom of the column so the bottom of the column could be closer to the rag joint? I would seriously consider ordering another with that configuration.

Thanks,

Bob

I also installed bearing retainer on the inside of the steering column, then machined a groove for a C clip on the outside of the column worked perfect.

4/01/2014 7:14 AM  #7

I designed the bearing retainer to be flexible so there is room for the shaft collar up inside the column as well.  Also, the bearing can be fitted from the inside of the column with the shaft collar below that to provide more room.  The OD of the bearing flange is 2-1/8" so it will just barely fit inside the column.  That way you can push the whole assembly up into the column as far as you wish, if the flange on the adapter is removed first.  That is good for a column that is not cut off square.  A set screw can be placed through the column tube into the extra length of the adapter sleeve to keep it from moving, also.

Although I preassemble them with the bearing pressed into the adapter, I can leave it out or configure it any way you wish - just ask.  Or, I can leave the bearing out and you can press it in as you wish.  If you already have one, the bearing is fairly easy to press out of the machined sleeve so you can reconfigure it.  Just DO NOT apply force to the center of the bearing when pressing it. 
Like a wheel bearing, the sleeve stretches to fit and may be loose after removal.  Some red loctite between the bearing and sleeve will make it stay put forever, but it doesn't hurt even if it is not a press fit.
If you guys come up with a better way that it could work, just let me know and perhaps I can redesign it or add another variation of the same product.
I now also offer the bearing kits with a 1" shaft diameter to fit other applications as well.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.