FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 6:32 AM  #1

Ceramic coated headers

I purchased a set of ceramic coated headers in dec of 2011.  Last year around feb or march I noticed they were rusting so I contacted the manufacturer.  They told me to send them in and they would recoat them. I removed them boxed them up and sent them off.  I think it cost me $40 to ship them and then I had to pay again to have them sent back to me after they recoated them.  I just figured they had a quality control issue.  
Well again this year they are rusting.  I again contacted the company and again they told me to send them back.  I complained about the costs involved and they responded with this!
Hello Terry :
The engine is getting excessive moisture from somewhere, you may want to take steps to keep it away……..

• park on a moisture barrier to prevent ground moisture from getting to the car….
  • coat the hedders with wd-40 when storing the vehicle……then wipe off with simple green before fire up…..

Please forward your invoice, and I will get you a return authorization to get the hedders sent in for a re-coat.  Let me know if you have any questions.

My complaint is they cost me $315 then $80 to ship them back last year and another $80 if I ship them back thats $475.  I call FOUL!!  I'm thinking they will just rust and I'll replace them with a good set in a few years

4/01/2014 7:05 AM  #2

Re: Ceramic coated headers

What's worng with rusty headers?!
Put some POR-15 hi temp paint on'em and enjoy the look.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/01/2014 7:23 AM  #3

The Hedmans I purchased in 1997, then put over 40k miles on them, then sold them to Ernest last year to put on his car, barely had any rust showing down by the collectors.  I know you park your car in the garage, and I bet you never drive it when there are chemicals on the road.  Why would they rust other than a misapplied coating?

Not that it will do you any good, but I think your header manufacturer is full of BS.

If your engine was producing moisture, would that not be on the INSIDE of the headers?

Are you going to let us know who the manuafacturer is so we can avoid their products?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2014 7:59 AM  #4

There are several shops in Denver that apply ceramic coatings - so I imagine any larger city will have the same.  My last set of headers were painted - the shop blasted them and coated them inside and out.  If I recall, the price they charged was less than the premium that the header manufacturers charge for their coatings.  For my current project, I bought uncoated headers, beat them and twisted them to fit the clutch cable and they are now ready for coating.  I don't know how many manufacturers coat inside and out but it protects the bare metal inside and also helps to further reduce temps - or at least that's what the local shop told me with their sales pitch.

4/02/2014 6:12 AM  #5

MustangSteve wrote:

The Hedmans I purchased in 1997, then put over 40k miles on them, then sold them to Ernest last year to put on his car, barely had any rust showing down by the collectors.  I know you park your car in the garage, and I bet you never drive it when there are chemicals on the road.  Why would they rust other than a misapplied coating?

Not that it will do you any good, but I think your header manufacturer is full of BS.

If your engine was producing moisture, would that not be on the INSIDE of the headers?

Are you going to let us know who the manuafacturer is so we can avoid their products?

I agree with you MS!! If there wasnt a problem why would they offer to re-recoat them??  notice I said RE-RECOAT.

I really don't want to keep throwing money at these!  and as far as the Manufacturer----Hedman!!!!
as far as parking my car in a wet environment, I guess i'll have to move to the desert!!

4/02/2014 8:48 AM  #6

terry wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

I agree with you MS!! If there wasnt a problem why would they offer to re-recoat them??  notice I said RE-RECOAT.

I really don't want to keep throwing money at these!  and as far as the Manufacturer----Hedman!!!!
as far as parking my car in a wet environment, I guess i'll have to move to the desert!!

Not to mention all the time it takes to install them and take them off only one time but 2 or 3.  Id ask for a new set.  Steve69

4/02/2014 9:53 AM  #7

Why not just get painted headers and touch them up as needed? I painted my long tube hookers with silver VHT paint like 8 years ago ,touched them up after installation, and after countless sparkplug checks, I think I touched them up once maybe twice sense then?

Last edited by Derek (4/02/2014 9:53 AM)

It's hard to type "funny"

4/02/2014 12:21 PM  #8

From what I have read about ceramic coatings, they are for heat prevention not rust prevention. Especially on mild steel headers like Headmans or Hookers. The steel will eventually rust from moisture because the ceramc coatings are not completely air tight. I also read that all those coatings have microscopic air holes in them that allow the rust to get through. You have to go to a Stainless steel header in order to get a completely rust free exhaust manifold. My new Hooker's come with "break in" instructions, Butt I have talked to guys that have followed those, and a year or two later after many miles their Hooker's look old and used.  I have never realy looked for rust on them though. Wondering about the break in procedure on a new roller engine, Butt we will drive off that bridge much later.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.