FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 3:14 PM  #1

My engine buddy's kinda pissed this afternoon...

I have a friend that understands all these engine details better than I could hope to, (cam specs and such).  There are several professional mechanics that routinely track him down to ask him questions when they are stumped.  A great friend to have.  He has always worked with large displacement engines, (mostly mopar), and was excited to play around with my little 302.  He had me order the cam after he had picked it out, and then had his machinist bud set up the heads including ordering the springs he wanted, but allowed us to set up the rockers and springs because we were screwing around with those 1.7 rockers.  When the engine was running, it always had a limitation in RPMs of 6300, which is fast enough, but always drove him crazy.  All this time he has ruled out the springs because he knew what he picked out.  When we took this monster all apart, he wasn't gonna let it go back together without checking everything.  Well guess what, just like many of you have been telling me all these years, it was the springs.  The springs he selected never made it onto the heads.  They are less than half as stiff as the application calls for.  You guys are so smart!

Anyway, it's getting corrected as we put it back together, so I'll have to let you know if it makes much of a difference.  I get uncomfortable with it turning that fast anyway.  Sounds like your asking too much of the thing.  I'll be curious to see how it behaves.  And hope we never have occasion to test that scatter shield I bolted in there...

Lance

Last edited by Lance (4/01/2014 3:37 PM)

4/01/2014 5:37 PM  #2

Re: My engine buddy's kinda pissed this afternoon...

Nah.. the scattershield is for when the TRANNY/CLUTCH blows up.

You will be testing the OIL PAN !

Best of luck with it.  A well built 289 can really crank it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2014 5:56 PM  #3

I like torque, high revs scare me!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/01/2014 8:01 PM  #4

As it is(according to cam specs) a 5.0L roller. You can't expect it to turn over 6500 rpm anyway. Roller lifters have less friction, butt are heavier and won't turn the higher rpm. It will take a solid roller to do that.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/01/2014 8:18 PM  #5

Tubo wrote:

As it is(according to cam specs) a 5.0L roller. You can't expect it to turn over 6500 rpm anyway. Roller lifters have less friction, butt are heavier and won't turn the higher rpm. It will take a solid roller to do that.

Tubo

X-2!..... Yeah.....with no more duration than that,6500 and its done making power.
NOT that its a bad cam. Your bud picked out a good/healthy STREET cam.
He done good in by book.
  IF he's looking for power even higher up a solid lifter/solid roller will getcha there.
I get..."shakey" when mine goes to 5000+RPM!
Like my Grandma use to say...."You couldn't drive a hat pin in my a$$ with a sledge hammer"!!
6s6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/02/2014 10:09 AM  #6

Most of the time, im just ignorant enough that I'm along for the ride.  You guys crack me up.  It's primary function is a daily drivable grocery getter, so Sal, you're right.  He wasn't wanting to make it less drivable or less reliable to make it quicker. We wanted to make sure it got my wife home at least a majority of the time.  I'm anxious to see what it'll do.  Thanks for the responses!

4/02/2014 3:03 PM  #7

Oh.......BTW......You COULD play a little with swapping those rocker around.  Try the 1.7 on the intakes and stockers on the exhaust. Ask you engine pal his thoughts on advancing the CAM TIMING 4/6 degrees!?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.