FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2014 2:49 PM  #1

Anyone try the UV Light and Dye to find oil or water leaks?

4/01/2014 5:23 PM  #2

Re: Anyone try the UV Light and Dye to find oil or water leaks?

I have done that and got a kit from HF.  It can work.  The kit has different dyes to work in different oils and coolant.  Best results are obtained when you start with a clean block/tranny/diff then put the dye in.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

4/01/2014 5:32 PM  #3

Cruex jock-itch spray...  (I am assuming they still make it?  If not, there are other brands that will work)

Clean the engine, spray the stuff on the area where the leak is suspected and then drive it.  Any leaks will leave a trail in the sprayed area showing right where to look for the leak.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2014 7:28 PM  #4

Ill give the Jock itch a try first.   Looks dry to me around the valve covers and rear of intake but I want to make sure.  like I said in my preivous post there was fresh oil half way up on the belhousing.  I doubt that would come from the rear main seal..

Thanks Steve69

4/01/2014 7:36 PM  #5

Probably less effort to just replace the valve cover gaskets...  But the spray will work.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/03/2014 5:17 AM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

Probably less effort to just replace the valve cover gaskets...  But the spray will work.

I probably will do that.  That powder cost as much as a set of Valve cover gaskets...LOL

Thanks Again!

4/03/2014 6:16 AM  #7

I have used the dye stuff with mixed results, mostly on AC stuff. But a few years ago I bought this little "Dental" camera that hooks to my USB port on my laptop. It has saved me a lot of times. I had a recurring leak of coolant on my van that was worrying me a lot since that was my travel vehicle. The leak appeared to be on the front of the motor, so I started placing the camera (Tape and wire tyes) in various places and took a ride with someone else driving so I could watch. Wow, I never new things moved around so much under the hood. Anyway I finally found the leak at the corner of drivers side head gasket. It only leaked at 2000rpm and over! Ofcourse that is where the thing runs with the trailer and overdrive turned off. One container of "Silver Stallion" and leak fixed. The camera is great for under car too like vibrations. It has a ring of LED's around the lens so it works without extra light. It does have a fairly short focal distance (made to work in your mouth). I have an X-10 wireless battery powered one for longer distances. I use the dental one most. It is great for looking at potential buys since I can tape it to a stick to reach under cars and other potential treasures. I got it on ebay for about 50 bucks. Shipped direct from China and was here in a few days.

4/03/2014 7:52 AM  #8

DC wrote:

I have used the dye stuff with mixed results, mostly on AC stuff. But a few years ago I bought this little "Dental" camera that hooks to my USB port on my laptop. It has saved me a lot of times. I had a recurring leak of coolant on my van that was worrying me a lot since that was my travel vehicle. The leak appeared to be on the front of the motor, so I started placing the camera (Tape and wire tyes) in various places and took a ride with someone else driving so I could watch. Wow, I never new things moved around so much under the hood. Anyway I finally found the leak at the corner of drivers side head gasket. It only leaked at 2000rpm and over! Ofcourse that is where the thing runs with the trailer and overdrive turned off. One container of "Silver Stallion" and leak fixed. The camera is great for under car too like vibrations. It has a ring of LED's around the lens so it works without extra light. It does have a fairly short focal distance (made to work in your mouth). I have an X-10 wireless battery powered one for longer distances. I use the dental one most. It is great for looking at potential buys since I can tape it to a stick to reach under cars and other potential treasures. I got it on ebay for about 50 bucks. Shipped direct from China and was here in a few days.

Thats sounds pretty Cool DC.  Do you have a link for that camera on Ebay?   Thanks Steve69

4/03/2014 9:51 AM  #9

You should find several choices when you search dental camera on ebay. I get several hits from $49 up to over a thousand. Guess which one I bought?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.