FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2014 7:49 AM  #26

Re: Need some help with UCA bolts... Any ideas out there?

Are the bolts harder than a Leaf Spring?
I have cut (actually very easily) leaf spring with a good
expensive hack saw blade, not the two dollers for five,
but prolly up to 3-4 bucks apiece kind.
Its surprising how easy it'll cut.
Are these harder than "grade 8"? 

4/04/2014 10:36 AM  #27

They have a compact ridgid reciprocating saw at the homedepot I bet you could get in there with that. Or maybe a multi tool or dremel

4/04/2014 10:38 AM  #28

4/04/2014 11:49 AM  #29

I've clamped a regular hack saw blade in a recip saw with an allen to clamp the blades.....
RAMSES, Man...

4/04/2014 12:01 PM  #30

O.K., no one has said it yet, so I will: CUTTING TORCH! You can borrow mine, and my fire extinguishers.

4/04/2014 12:53 PM  #31

Hornman wrote:

O.K., no one has said it yet, so I will: CUTTING TORCH! You can borrow mine, and my fire extinguishers.

Is it portable?  I don't want to drive the car for fear of poking holes through the headers.  I KNOW the correct way to do this is to remove the UCA, but I am sick of working on springs.  I lost count of how many I have had on this car. Not to mention going through the loosening, retightening of the nuts that are very difficult to get a wrench on and turn.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/04/2014 3:23 PM  #32

MustangSteve wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Is it portable?  I don't want to drive the car for fear of poking holes through the headers.  I KNOW the correct way to do this is to remove the UCA, but I am sick of working on springs.  I lost count of how many I have had on this car. Not to mention going through the loosening, retightening of the nuts that are very difficult to get a wrench on and turn.

one  benefit of the coil over system...   

4/04/2014 3:25 PM  #33

For the love of Pete man, get some decent hack saw blades, the Harbor Freight ones are garbage.
 A quality blade will cut an industrial grade  Allen head bolt, I've done it for 40 years.
 If all else fails a  carbide impregnated blade will cut hardned tool steels.
 If none of the above will cut the bolt it has been heat treated to a point where it is brittle and may break under severe loads.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/04/2014 4:19 PM  #34

I bought some really long sawzall blades.  Later, I will see how much carnage I can create.  After mastercrap, what's a little more?

4/04/2014 6:59 PM  #35

MustangSteve wrote:

I bought some really long sawzall blades.  Later, I will see how much carnage I can create.  After mastercrap, what's a little more?

I have some metal cutting Sawsall blades labeled "The Torch" which I have used to tear up some serious metal. My son told me the Fire Department uses them to cut cars apart. I have used them to cut appliance cabinets into manageable size pieces. Keep the blade speed slow and use cooling. If you let the teeth get hot, the blade is shot. That is the advantage of using a hacksaw, very few people are going to generate enough blade speed to damage the teeth.

4/04/2014 8:33 PM  #36

Those bolts are now history.  I went and bought some really long sawzall blades, then took the plate off the front of the sawzall so I could get it in there.  Those long blades wipped around and was getting nowhere.  In my sawzall blade collection, I had a few of those torch blades, 6" long.  Turns out there was room to get them in there by removing the plug wires and holding on for dear life while I went through 5 blades.  But it did the job !!!!

Only bad part was a broken spark plug, I think that got cracked when pulling the boot off to get the wires out of the way.  Touched up some scratched up shock tower paint.  Gotta love that rattle can paint that matches perfectly.

Thanks for all the ideas. 

Now, on to the muffler conversion (version 4.1).  I bought two mufflers from  Walker's aftermarket stuff.  These are 2-1/2 in and 2-1/2" out and configured like a Mustang muffler but about 3" longer. Looks like I can make them fit.  They are called QUIET FLOW, so I am hoping for some good results.  The application is a 79 Cadillac Eldo with 500 cubic inch engine.  It make choke the 427 down a few ponies, but that is a small price to pay to have a (relatively) quiet car.  I am betting it will sound pretty good...

Last edited by MustangSteve (4/04/2014 8:36 PM)

4/05/2014 6:42 AM  #37

Glad you got it done.
I'll be waiting to hear about your results with the new mufflers.
My Magnaflow stainless with X-pipe is starting to get annoying, and I haven't even got plates on the car yet...

4/05/2014 10:52 AM  #38

Loud mufflers are just annoying if you want to enjoy the car.

4/05/2014 1:45 PM  #39

Stubborn bolts meets man on a mission. Man wins. Good job.

4/05/2014 1:46 PM  #40

It's a little too late at this point, but I would have tried the torch to heat the headers then drive something between the header and the end of the bolt to create the clearance. With my luck, I will need those threads back later.
Good luck with the mufflers. There is nothing better than the sound of a finely tuned engine, but I still want to hear the radio.   

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/06/2014 3:02 AM  #41

Harbor freight sells diamond blade cutoff wheels for dremels and drills. The good carbide hacksaw blades work well (from Lennox and other brands). I would avoid using any kind of torch, as you would be seriously heat cycling something that is already hardened.... and in close quarters.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.