FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2014 11:38 PM  #1

400 hp 351w Mustang Steve's Piston/block choice

Hello, old guy new to this forum. In Mustang Steve's 400 hp 351w build parts list it shows a 69 351w block and L2446F pistons. Correct me if I'm wrong but using this piston in the early block will end up with the piston sticking up above the deck approx .015. With the felpro head gasket 10111 having a compressed thickness of .041 this leaves only .026 piston to head clearance. My question, is .026 enough clearance to run safely in a steel rod street motor ?

4/05/2014 7:30 AM  #2

Re: 400 hp 351w Mustang Steve's Piston/block choice

I have a set up with flat top pistons and .014 popup that is super. These motors love the extra squish. .015 would not worry me at all. That motor regularly sees 7000 rpm. Mine is just over 10 to 1 compression. I do run 93 octane at 36 degrees total.

4/05/2014 10:51 AM  #3

The extra squish is the key to more HP and less tendency to pre-detonation.  I put about 40k miles on that engine and now it is going into someone else's new buildup of a fastback.  Never used a drop of oil and it got 24 MPG on a trip to GA and back to TX.  Plus it ran really strong for 15 years and still has alot more life left in it,

Now, if you are planning on running 0.020" crank bearing clearances, you might reconsider, but that engine had 0.0015" piston/cylinder clearance and 0.002 main and rod clearances.  Head gaskets were 0.042" compressed thickness.  That extra volume in the gasket is available, so why not use it?

Engines that have the pistons below deck level, like MOST setups, are giving away free performance gains.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/05/2014 7:27 PM  #4

Thank you  DC, and Mustang Steve for the post's, with the miles you have with this set up you've put my mind at ease. I also have a 69 351-W  with those same Pistons built like 15 years ago, but it only has 800 miles on it (broke my back and my Mach has been in storage ever since). Just pulled it out of storage to finish what I started, will be nice not to hold my breath every time I start it lol.

4/05/2014 8:26 PM  #5

Welcome to the forum!!

4/05/2014 8:33 PM  #6

Thanks Terry

4/05/2014 10:02 PM  #7

Downey huh?  Back in the day...my day anyway...I spent a lot of Friday and Saturaday evenings wasting gas trying to drive through Harvey's Broiler.  That would have been in the mid-sixties.
Grew up in Compton but probably will never visit the old homestead.  I'm planning to make the Knotts Fabulous Fords deal next year and I get out there a couple of times a year to visit friends and family.  Maybe we'll hook up.

Welcome to the best forum on the net.  What kind of hot rod are you doing?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/05/2014 11:02 PM  #8

Another former SoCal resident here (Rancho Palos Verdes). I do miss being able to go to Fabulous Fords Forever at Knott's. Lots of neat Fords there, not just Mustangs.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

4/05/2014 11:39 PM  #9

Downey?  I grew up in South Gate, just next door, in the late 50's.  Harvey's Broiler was a must on the weekends.  There also was a place in SG, The Carasel, that was popular.  Across the street from the Firestone plant.  Lions was a regular Saturday event.

Before moving to Northern Calif 20 years ago, I did Knotts often.  Great show.

Welcome to the site.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/06/2014 12:36 AM  #10

Harvey's almost got torn down a few years ago, at one point all that was left was the sign. A group got together and made it a Historical site, it's been rebuilt and is now a Bob's Big Boy with the Broiler sign, and the old school car hop cirtain days and hours. I'm doing a restomod on my 69 Mach1 that I bought some 35 years ago (aged myself lol), still deciding exactly where we will go with it but wont be stock for sure. Plan on doing the Knotts show the next time around so if any of you plan on going p/m me, would be cool to meet up there. Thank you all for the welcome.

4/06/2014 8:55 AM  #11

I also grew up in the Downey area in the 60's and 70's. Harvey's every Friday and Saturday along with Tweedy Blvd in South Gate and Hollywood Blvd until late at nite, then street racing in Commerce on 26th street or out at the Box Factory in Santa Fe Springs.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.