FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2014 4:56 PM  #1

Center cap rings

What is the procedure to drive the Mustang Steve center cap rings into my bullitt wheels?  Is there a trick to driving them beyond flush?

4/05/2014 8:45 PM  #2

Re: Center cap rings

When I did the install I squared them up and pressed them down with my thumbs then, used a socket  and give it some JKB love taps........be sure to put some clear rtv in the groove of the ring first.......

4/05/2014 10:12 PM  #3

Thanks.  I did 3 of them a couple years ago, went to do the 4th and I'll be danged if I can remember what I did!

4/06/2014 11:32 AM  #4

I emailed you an instruction sheet in case you don't have them any more.  Those bearing/seal driver tools work great.  Main key to getting them in there without damaging the paint on the wheel is to grind the paint off the edge of the hole before inserting the adapter.   That way the paint won't get chipped.  The new cap does cover the edge where paint is removed.

For those who have no clue what we are talking about, the adapter lets you put the hollow-back 06 or newer center caps on the older 01-04 Bullitt wheels.  If you narrow the wheels and bolt them on without a spacer, the original center cap (with solid back) cannot be used as it interferes with the bearing cap on the front hubs.  I offer an adapter kit to retrofit the newer caps to the older wheels.

I think the newer caps look alot better than the flush fit ones from 01-04.  The new ones are a "copy" of the 1965 styled steel wheel center cap.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.