FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2014 7:51 PM  #1

Mufllers

I hope this is not a dead horse, But I to am ready to pull the flowmaster 40s off and Have not even driven the car yet, What is a good muffler with good flow and is fairly quite ?

If its worth doing do it right !

4/05/2014 9:59 PM  #2

Re: Mufllers

Summit brand turbo muffler are pretty quiet and flow better than the blowmasters. I wouldNOT be afraid to try the Summit brand 3 chambered racing muffler. Its just a little smaller than the turbo. Prices are super on both!
6sally6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/06/2014 7:27 AM  #3

Sal, which mufflers are you running?

jerry

4/06/2014 9:02 AM  #4

You might wanna try some magnaflow pretty quiet lifetime warrantee

4/06/2014 11:11 AM  #5

Everyone's idea of the perfect sound is quite different.  I was quite happy with the flowmaster 50's I had behind my 351W.  They gave a good roar when accelerating hard but were really quiet at cruise speed.  I should have followed my own advice when I changed to the 427, but I wanted an all new, stainless system, so I got the JBA 2-1/2" setup.  I swapped the JBA mufflers for some of those new jobs that have the flapper valve in them.  BIG MISTAKE on my car, at least.  On Don's 66 GT, they work great, but with a 427 pumping through them, they rattled, droned and were way too loud.  Those went away after the bash and I then added two CAR CHEMISTRY race mufflers in front of the Gibson mufflers I installed.  Still way too loud.  I have recently purchased some new mufflers from SUMMIT, made by Wagner, called QUIET FLOW.  They are for a 70 500 CI Eldorado.  If that doesn't get it quiet enough, I think I will sell the car.  I figure giving up 30 or so HP will not hurt performance on this car much at all.  And I will like the sleeper sound, with 500HP performance waiting beneath.

I will have a pair of Gibsons for sale soon.  2-1/2 offset inlet with 2-1/2" center outlet, stainless steel, used for maybe a couple hundred miles, if that.  They might sound OK with a smaller displacement engine.  I just don't know, though.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/06/2014 3:05 PM  #6

MS-  you should just go get a set of grand marque stock mufflers and be done with it....8)

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

4/07/2014 3:27 AM  #7

Steve thank you for the excelent reply,It seems funny how our tastes change has we age.The older we get the quieter we want our cars. Again thank you for keeping this site the way it is.Peaceful and friendly .

If its worth doing do it right !

4/07/2014 4:18 PM  #8

Dynomax Ultraflows are WAY quieter on a fairly mild SBF than 40s. Stainless, and good quality. Larger diameter pipes are louder, too. I like my Delta 40s. Biggest gripe was I could hear em too much at higher speeds. I am improving that considerably with insulation, now concentrating on the trunk divider and tail panel. Big difference, because sound from the tailpipes comes right through the rear of the trunk area.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.