FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 3:52 PM  #26

Re: newbie with 65 mustang convertible, what have I DONE?

Lots of companies make conversion kits to adapt the roller concept to the old blocks, that is certainly an option.  Modern roller lifters are taller than the older flat tappet lifters so a conversion klit is necessary, that adds a bit of cost.

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

4/09/2014 8:29 PM  #27

devovino wrote:

Gotcha, so theroticially, I may never know if this is the original motor or not based even on casting codes.

Also, to have a "roller block" I would need a 5.0, could I not just just put new heads on a 289 with rollers and it would be so?

The "Roller" block mentioned refers to a roller cam.  That's a steel cam shaft with lobes specifically shaped to operate with roller lifters instead of flat lifters.  The block has taller lifter bosses for the  stability of the longer lifters and a system of parts in the valley that keep the roller lifters from trying to rotate...can't have any rotation like  with flat lifters.  The roller system goes nearly for ever and saves a lot of horsepower too.

Ford went to the roller cam system in 85 and that's when the 302 became the 5.0 (Actually, it's a bit shy of five liters but who's counting).  By picking up a core or even a running 5.0 you might save yourself a lot of greif and expense.  The heads will be ready to go for unleaded fuel.  It will likely have at least one good bore job left in it without exceeding the accepted normal limit of .030" over standard...deeper boaring can lead to heating problems  on some blocks.  Even if it has well over a hundred K on it, it may be perfectly acceptable as a driver for a few thousand miles until you decide to rebuild it (
(my donor Lincoln TC had 200k on it and I drove it 320miles home over the mountains and got 23mpg.  And, it had standard bore.  My 90 GT had 154K on when joshkbob drove it from western CO to Oklahoma City and only got 30 mpg.  An injected 5.0 will go many miles and not wear out.  So, if you shop carefully you  may  just  find a late 5.0 with miles  left in it for  pretty cheap.  You can pull all the injection stuff and drop on a  carb, add a  cheap C4 trans...I gave one away  last year  that ran perfect but leaked a bit...probably an easy fix, and you are running and enjoying.

Anyway, I just hate to see you waste $300 or $400 on something that might get you running  quick but will be something you want to replace down the road.

Good luck and welcome aboard.  There's lots of advice to be had here...some of it even good...the foregoing not withstanding.

BB
I

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/09/2014 11:33 PM  #28

JSHarvey wrote:

Just a bit South of SLC (Sandy).  Where are you located?

If the weather stays nice this weekend I may take it out for the first drive of Spring.

I'm in Riverton utah. Now I remember your from the vintage mustang forum you have the scarebird discs on your ride

4/10/2014 8:25 AM  #29

True74yamaha wrote:

JSHarvey wrote:

Just a bit South of SLC (Sandy).  Where are you located?

If the weather stays nice this weekend I may take it out for the first drive of Spring.

I'm in Riverton utah. Now I remember your from the vintage mustang forum you have the scarebird discs on your ride

Yes, my car was the test mule for the Scarebird guy to develop disc for the Ford spindles, my set is quite a bit different than what Scarebird is currently offering.

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

4/10/2014 10:19 AM  #30

Hey Bullet Bob, thanks for the clarification on the "roller Motor" thing, and it seem there is more than just lifters involved with it, I am now informed and can make a decision based on this new information. I have thought about a 5.0 instalation, and mating it with a 5 speed manual, that would be pretty sweet to have a manual tranny, but I will have to mull it over.
  Like you said it is wastefull to spend 300.00 or so dollars on a motor I might end up not wanting in the long run, however I can justify the cost of this fairly easy in knowing I could take parts (heads from this 66 motor and other things) to rebuild my original motor. Also the motor I am looking at comes with a C-4 trans that I could use going forward with my build as well, for 300.00 or less I think it might be a good investment for both motor and trans, and it i, "in theory" will put me on the road now for less than it woulf for  5.0 and trans, but I will continue to  look .

All men die, but not all men truly ever live.

4/10/2014 1:11 PM  #31

Kinda funny to see some guys on here that are from slc we should tell are friends and start up a car show

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.