FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2014 6:13 AM  #51

Re: Is an EFI swap going to do anything for me?

Lance wrote:

Interestingly, that is what we did. Hydraulic cam & linked roller lifters, but the cam has the HO or 351W sequence. If I had to get a different computer, I thought, why not really learn this stuff and get a fully programmable computer? Kicking around the MegaSquirt instead of the stock PCM. Doesn't that sound like fun?

L

I started reading all the MegaSquirt stuff back in the late 90's.  It is very interesting but I haven't been following it's development.  It used to  be a DIY deal but I think those days are gone.
I kind of like the Tweaker or Moats Quarterhorse idea better as it is an add-on program adjuster to the Ford system...also, from what I remember last time I checked MS prices, either of the add-on tuners are cheaper than the MS.

Lots of fun options for those of us who like to get seriouslly involved.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/10/2014 7:47 AM  #52

Admittedly, I'm in over my head currently, but this is how I learn.  Dive in, prepared to pay someone to clean up the mess if I really screw something up.  So far I haven't had to hire help, but it's only because I have good friends that save me.  (Screwing up that brand new head by milling a communication between the exhaust and water jacket was really the only time I made a serious error...)  I've had trouble identifying alternatives to the stock computers.  My engineering bud has always thought it would be fun to have complete control over the programming, and while I understand only a fraction of it's capabilities, he gets it.  Of the MegaSquirts, there are two I'd kick around.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtpnp-g2-eec4a8-for-8693-ford-mustang-50-p-524.html
or,
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ms3pro-standalone-ecu-with-839-wiring-harness-p-538.html

Read lots of reviews, and it goes like this.  Plug and play folks are overwhelmed by the capabilities, and the absolute tech snobs want to pick the product apart.  It sounds like a very capable piece that delivers what it promises.  I just have to decide if that's what I'd really want.  Hakan mentioned the "quarterhorse" which sounds very interesting.  I'll have to check that out.  Are you aware of others that would play nicely with a EFI conversion harness?

L

4/10/2014 8:10 AM  #53

If I were you I'd go with the Moates stuff or TwEECer. Mike Glover is the guy behind the TwEECer and he is still in Katy Tx I believe. I used to sell TwEECers and EEC-Tuners a long time ago, good times If you get the TwEECer RT you have the ability to datalog which is nice. Although I do not know if he's updated his software to run on the newer OSs like Win8, but I am sure it would be fine on 7. So be prepared to get a laptop if you dont already have one and a wideband would be a good investment as well. Tuning a Fox EEC-IV is very straightforward and there's a ton of info around. I'd choose that before you went Magasquirt, as you found out there's a lot to take in and a heck of a large learning curve. I wouldn't go that route unless I had a good foundational knowledge of EFI, tuning concepts, and computer/electrical knowledge.

Having said that I am looking at using the MS3/MS3X (assembled kit) for my 95 Lightning. There's also another board they've been working on that supports automatic transmission control called Megashift, but E4OD support is sketchy at the moment.

Last edited by Raymond_B (4/10/2014 8:12 AM)

4/10/2014 8:23 AM  #54

Lance wrote:

Hakan mentioned the "quarterhorse" which sounds very interesting.  I'll have to check that out.

I can post some links etc. later when I am back home tonight, just about to leave the office here in Denmark and fly back home to Sweden...

4/10/2014 2:31 PM  #55

Back home now and here's some links leading to almost too much info of which some is generic and some is Quartehorse specific:

How to get started and Best Practices post on the eectuning.org site:
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12011

Tech Docs forum  on the eectuning.org site:
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=17

The Moates (developer of the Quarterhorse) website:
http://moates.net/

The Moates support website:
http://support.moates.net/

4/10/2014 2:43 PM  #56

Instead of reading through all that info I posted links to above, here's a bunch of YouTube videos of various quality on the subject:

4/10/2014 3:18 PM  #57

Hakan,

You are too kind!  Thank you sir.  This is something I believe I'd enjoy learning. I'll do some studying.

It's getting mostly favorable attention, and among its critics are those that won't take the time to learn it, or those that are so tech savvy that they could build a circuit board from scratch but are too lazy. They'd rather just complain. Somewhere in there are probably a few gripes, but the owner seems willing to fix legitimate faults in his product.  Interesting!

Lance

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.