FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 8:06 AM  #1

Finally found a set of headers that work.

In my hunt for a set of good quality headers that work, I was given the name of FPA, Ford Powertrain Applications.  Stan Johnson there makes all the headers for Ford Racing.  My car is a '65 Fastback with a 351Stroker to 393cid.  I was having trouble with the Hooker long tube ones I already bought mounting to high on the cyl heads and creating problems hitting the floorboards.  I later found out the exhaust ports on the heads are 5/8 inch higher on the heads.  Anyway, Stan makes a set of headers for that engine in a '67 Mustang and he sent me a set to try.  The headers are truly a work of art, heavy 16 gauge metal with 3/8 flanges and already have the ball and socket mount-up on them.  They won't work on a '65 unless you have the shock towers reworked, but with my set-up. they worked perfectly.  Stan is a customer minded person and will listen to your questions instead of blowing you off like a lot of vendors do. He also makes headers for alot of other Ford applications and not only my motor.  His phone number is 253-848-9503 out of Oregon.  web page is www.fordpowertrain.com.  The price of the headers is reasonable plus they are beautiful and work.  He said I could refer anyone to him and he would be happy to talk to them about their project.  I am attaching some pictures of them and how my shock towers are reworked.  Hope this helps  

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

4/10/2014 9:48 AM  #2

Re: Finally found a set of headers that work.

Boy those look nice! Post some pics when you get both sides installed please. The Headmans I had bolted up to the 351W had to be dimpled to clear the upper A-arm bolts and the #7 band 8 cylinders were a real Beach to get the header bolts started and tightened even on the 302 they are on now. Just noticed the other day I need to make a little clearence by the starter as that side is hitting the starter.

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

4/10/2014 3:27 PM  #3

The FPA Try-y's I had at one time were some of the best fitting headers I have had.

Last edited by Glens 1965 50 (4/10/2014 7:10 PM)

4/10/2014 5:55 PM  #4

I forgot to add I am using a Randall's power rack and pinion steering and the headers clear the input shaft of the rack assy.  Randall puts his input shaft and control valve as far over toward the driver side he can and the column shaft will only need a u-joint up next to the cowl area.  I will send out some pictures after I get the headers back on.  I needed to paint them.  Stan said I could still get them ceramic coated if I wanted to at a later date.

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.