FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2014 12:54 PM  #1

What to do??

'67 Coupe. I've been doing some work - window regulator, etc - on my doors so I decided to replace the weather stripping while I was at it. Bad decision. As I was pulling out the old weather stripping I found lots of rust underneath at the bottom of the doors. Rusted through in a few areas. Major disappointment! The car is quite clean so I haven't had a lot of rust issues prior to this. Also, I've put a lot of time and money into the car so I would hate to ditch it now.
I have no body work experience so I'm not sure of the magnitude of the problem. Is this fixable within reason? What is the best course of action? Any input is appreciated.  E. 

4/08/2014 1:15 PM  #2

Re: What to do??

Well if it's localized to the area under the weather strip it really shouldnt be that hard to fix without damaging the exterior paint if you take your time. If it were mine I'd mask off the outside of the door, Then mark the hinges and remove the the door. Set the door (exterior side down) on ah moist moving blanket. Now you can cut out the cancer ,and weld in your new patches, Grind, smooth, prime, paint, and undercoat the inside. And sense the doors off go ahead and install your weather strip. Ah good weekend project ,Or six pack per door

Last edited by Derek (4/08/2014 1:16 PM)

It's hard to type "funny"

4/08/2014 2:26 PM  #3

Do you have pictures of the damage?  If you have no experience with metal repair and bodywork your either about to get some or spend a bunch of money.  I wouldn't get rid of it over a little door rust.  They sell repop doors everyday that well get you back in business. Have them painted to match your car if possible and switch all your current hardware over to the new door.  Not that big of a job.  You CAN do it!

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

4/08/2014 4:52 PM  #4

Yes, new doors would be an option. I would be a bit concerned about the fit based on some reviews of the after market stuff. I am not comfortable taking on the body work so I think I'll take it over to a local body shop - he painted the car recently - and see what he sez about doing the repairs, although after all of Steve's issues with North Texas body shops that may not be a good plan. E. 

4/08/2014 7:33 PM  #5

I'm sure you could tackle it. Like previously said lay it down paint side on a blanket and go to town with a cut off tool. If you need one for that small of a job either a dremel or harbor feight electrical type. Unless you have a good air compressor and gen a phenumatic type. Then go to local metal store get some metal and patch it if you wanted you could go to an autobody supply store and get a body panel adhesive and attach the metal that way so you won't have to weld the other in. Then prime it and paint it and sense you use the panel adhesive you can undercoat the back side of the patch

4/08/2014 9:28 PM  #6

A new MIG welder will cost less than paying someone to screw it up for you.  No one will take the time to fix it like you will.  Practice on some old pieces of sheet metal or an old fender.  Watch Overhaulin and FastnLoud or other car shows, or maybe youtube to see how it is done.

REMOVE THE GLASS before you do any cutting or welding on a door.  The sparks have little molten metal pieces that will imbed themselves into the glass.  You think you have trouble NOW... just wait until your WINDOW GLASS starts to rust...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/09/2014 7:30 AM  #7

I did this repair on my 65 FB. When you discover rust in this area it is disappointing. I am not a bodyman but I did the repair myself. I decided not to buy new stuff and not to try a replacement from another 65-66 since it would probably need the same repair sooner or later. I cut out the rust with a dremmel tool, then I got some sheet metal from Lowes, cut it and epoxeyed it in to my original door. I used a little bondo as well. I  sanded and hit it with touch up paint. That part of the door is probably the least seen part of the whole car. Go for it!

4/09/2014 1:34 PM  #8

Thanks for the encouragement. If I understand correctly you did not weld the patch. If that is correct, do you have concerns about it holding up? You are correct about it being the least seen part. That is probably why it took me years to realize that there is a problem. E. 

4/09/2014 2:44 PM  #9

The door is the last line of defense if some idiot t-bones you.

Weld the patch.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/12/2014 8:23 AM  #10

MS is right. Weldd the metal if you have a welder. I decided to use panel bonding epoxy to give it a try after reading so much about it. In some cases this repair can be nicely done without even removing the door. Don't get bummed out, regroup, try the repair yourself. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.