FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2014 9:01 AM  #1

Need junkyard head advise...

I have a 66 coupe with a 90's 5.0 in it with a carburettor. I was trying to chase better economy and burned a couple valves. It now backfires through the exhaust and intake. I pulled the heads and gaskets were fine but a couple of the valves looked wet.

Right now I have the iron E7TE heads, factory roller cam, and factory rockers with the factory 66 cast exhaust manifolds.

So do I bother taking the heads in to have them checked out and the burned valves replaced, or do I pick up some gt-40 or gt-40p heads from the junk yard? I guess a better question would be if the spark plugs would work with the factory manifolds and the gt-40p heads?

BobN

4/11/2014 9:32 AM  #2

Re: Need junkyard head advise...

Burned valves are usually an indication of a 'lean' fuel condition, unless there are many, many miles on the engine.  You indicated that the valves looked wet when you pulled the heads, which is confusing.  What do the plugs look like?
How many miles have you put on since switching to a carburetor?
What ignition timing (initial & total advance) are you running?
I wouldn't go w/a new set of heads until you figure what caused this condition.  I suggest rebuilding the existing heads, and take to reading the spark plugs (google it) often to determine carburetor adjustments and/or spark plug temperature range changes needed.  Remember, a little rich is better than being lean.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/11/2014 11:58 AM  #3

It was total user error. I leaned it out and messed with the timing curve before driving to work. Due to time restraints, I had to just go ahead and drive it all day like that and baby it.

So much for saving time and changing things around all at once.
BobN

4/12/2014 7:41 AM  #4

OK, not sure where you want to go with enhancing engine performance in the future, but I'd still rebuild the heads you have and go from there.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/12/2014 10:02 AM  #5

The GT40 heads are a good improvement and work with normal headers. The GT 40P heads take special headers.

4/12/2014 11:24 AM  #6

BobN,

You may already know this but, if you do decide to hit the junkyards for Gt40 heads, keep in mind 1996-97 Explorers "usually" have the GT40 heads.  They have 3-bars on the end of the heads.....
GT-40P's have 4-bars. 

Also, Mercury Mountaineers are another source for these heads......

I have a set of GT40's from a 96 explorer that I'm gonna run......on a 90 roller block engine

Let me know if you have any questions, etc.

4/12/2014 4:33 PM  #7

If you go with the 40-p you need a special exhaust header,JBA makes that and they work ok.The P heads are 59,-60 cc And are what ford called fast burn no thermactors tubes , The reason for the headers plugs go in at a differnt angle more center of head,If installed on 351 w you need to drill the holes for the head bolts to 1/2 inch.

If its worth doing do it right !

4/13/2014 9:39 AM  #8

Bob, are the E7TE heads not giving the performance you want?  If you change them, you need to go back with heads with the same cc chambers that the E7s have, unless you are wanting to change the compression ratio.  If you are satisfied with the E7s, there would be no reason to spend more money on heads of unknown quality.  Also, all the other stuff fits the E7 heads just right for your Mustang.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Just my thoughts.
Enjoy

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.