FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2014 8:52 PM  #1

Brake Pedal Question

I bled the brakes on my coupe today.  All went well but I question my pedal travel.  It doesn't go to the floor but it also doesn't get firm until it travels approximately 1/2 way.  Could this be because of the booster and there is no vacuum?  Car isn't running yet.

4/12/2014 9:03 PM  #2

Re: Brake Pedal Question

No, the pedal would be stiffer without vacuum.  What brakes do you have on the car?

Did you adjust the booster output shaft to fit the master cylinder?  Are the rear brakes adjusted?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2014 6:24 AM  #3

Brakes are red Cobra anniversary edition.  I wasn't aware of any shaft adjustment to master cylinder from the booster or rear brakes.  This brake stuff is all new to me. Am I going to have to remove the master to make the adjustment?

Last edited by Kristang (4/13/2014 6:26 AM)

4/13/2014 11:17 AM  #4

What booster is it?  If you got it from me, I adjust every one of them with a jig I built.  They all come WAY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT and will result in a very low pedal if you just bolt it on without adjusting it.  Yes, remove the mc.  You don't have to take it all the way off, and might not have to remove the hardlines if you built in a couple of loops for ease of movement.  Just remove the two nuts and pull it out about 1-1/2" so you can get to the adjustment on the shaft.

4/13/2014 11:33 AM  #5

Once I get to the adjustment how far out do I need to bring it?  Unfortunately I am going to have to remove the master cylinder.  Not the end of the world at least I know the rest of the system is good.

4/13/2014 1:53 PM  #6

Easiest adjustment method is to extend the rod until the MC rocks in it when you push the mc up to the booster.  Then back off a tiny bit and retry the mc to see if it rocks.  Once it doesn't rock, you can bolt it down.  A half a turn moves it farther than you would think, so go in small increments.

What booster are you using?

4/13/2014 2:55 PM  #7

The  one you suggested that fits some type of airport maintenance vehicle.  I adjusted the rod the thickness of the spacer I made that goes between the master and the booster.  Should I put a jam nut on the rod before I put it back together?

Last edited by Kristang (4/13/2014 3:00 PM)

4/13/2014 3:36 PM  #8

That is a Fox Mustang booster.  The ground support booster just happens to be the same size!  What spacer?
No matter what, the end of the rod needs to be within about 0.010" of touching the piston in the mc.  The black boosters have their own jam nut.  The cardone ones do not have a jam nut.  If you added some kind of spacer between the MC and the booster, the rod will have to be longer and you need to be sure the threaded part of the adjuster is in no danger of coming out too far and falling out of the shaft. Some red loctite will hold it, assuming you have enough depth of thread engagement, but I have never seen one come "unadjusted" once it was set to the proper depth.

4/13/2014 4:27 PM  #9

I did as you suggested.  There is little to no pedal slop before it engages the brakes.  The rod adjustment is close and I had to use a wrench and a players to even move it so I did not bother using any Loctite.  All seems to be good now thank U for your help!

4/13/2014 4:48 PM  #10

Perfect !

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.