FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2014 1:15 PM  #1

Aint much rust but I thought I would show the repair.

Was feeling pretty good this morning so I decided to start tackling the core and inner fenders.  Gonna fix em the way I want them then sand blast them.  New core support did have a bit of rust.  Here is the before and after I spent about an hour on it this morning.  
And a picture of the backside.  No filler!  Just keepin the dream alive even if its only baby steps.   One more small rust spot then I am going to figure out a way to sandblast them without making a permanent mess.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/13/2014 1:50 PM  #2

Re: Aint much rust but I thought I would show the repair.

Do you use a flapper wheel to smooth the welds?  I got the idea from this forum.  I had never used one before, but man those things are fantastic.  Making repairs like that are fun to do.  Just a little challenge to make it where you can't tell it was touched.  Once you blast that, you will not have any idea a repair was ever done.

Nice work!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2014 2:37 PM  #3

Thanks!
List of tools:   Lincoln Weld-pak 100,  angle grinder, 1/2" electric belt sander, 2" oribital sander. and the little magnetic thingy with the copper backing.   Oh and a drill, and air powered saw.  

Im open to ideas to make an area big enough to sandblast.   My best idea so far is to make some kind of backstop and use a tarp, because those 3 pieces are not gonna fit in my cabinet.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

4/13/2014 3:58 PM  #4

Greg B wrote:

Thanks!
List of tools:   Lincoln Weld-pak 100,  angle grinder, 1/2" electric belt sander, 2" oribital sander. and the little magnetic thingy with the copper backing.   Oh and a drill, and air powered saw.  

Im open to ideas to make an area big enough to sandblast.   My best idea so far is to make some kind of backstop and use a tarp, because those 3 pieces are not gonna fit in my cabinet.  

Nice work Greg!  Can you post the make and model of your 2" orbital sander?

4/13/2014 4:10 PM  #5

I just use the HF model.  I think it kicks booty for what it is.   I also take their larger hook and loop discs and trace and cut my own 2" discs.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-sander-93629.html

4/13/2014 6:12 PM  #6

Greg B wrote:

I just use the HF model.  I think it kicks booty for what it is.   I also take their larger hook and loop discs and trace and cut my own 2" discs.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-sander-93629.html

Thanks Greg!  .....and great idea on the larger discs.

I always wished that someone would make a small rectangular (1 1/2") electric oscillating palm sander.

Last edited by boomyal (4/13/2014 6:15 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.