FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2014 4:04 PM  #1

69 Tail light panel rust repair.

Hello everyone, just need a little advice. Let me start by saying I'm NOT doing a concorse restoration on this car, it's a restomod. That being said I'm looking at 4 options, 1- doing a glass repair, 2-trying to fab up patch panels, 3-buying a repo panel and using it to make patches, and 4-just replacing the whole panel. Other than the rust holes shown in the pics the rest of the panel is good. Any thoughts ?.

4/13/2014 5:00 PM  #2

Re: 69 Tail light panel rust repair.

First, I would NEVER consider a patch that is not welded in.  That is at best a temporary fix.  That is such a small area, it would be very simple to make some pieces, even if you had to buy a new taillight panel to cut them from.  I think if I was doing it, I would replace the entire panel.  That way, you don't have to worry about any seams showing.  See my web page: http://www.mustangsteve.com/taillightpanel.html
That one is on my 66, but yours would be just as easy or even easier because it doesn't have the edge going through the taillight hole like the 66 does.  It is such an easy procedure to change it, you can do the whole thing in an afternoon.
If you decided to patch it, I am thinking the curvature would make it more difficult to get smooth, and any small gaps in the weld would allow water from the taillight gaskets to start the rust process all over again.
I vote for a complete replacement.  One afternoon's worth of work and you are done.  Price varies from $103 to $155 depending on coupe/convertible or fastback.  If the price bothers you, then weld in a couple of hand-made patches.  Be sure to butt weld a fitted piece in place.  MUCH easier than fiberglassing !

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2014 6:20 PM  #3

Are you planning on painting the entire car ?...if not and it's just a patch job and spot in the paint... like MS said buy a new panel and section the new pieces in ,welding is best...But you can panel bond them in...taper all sides of the patch pieces and overlap a half inch...then finish off with a light coat of bondo... this is a good way to do a temporary repair without a welder....jj   

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

4/13/2014 8:05 PM  #4

Thank you both for the input, Yes I will be painting the car, I am leaning towards getting a panel and using it for patches and butt welding them in. Eventhough I'm not doing a full blown resto, I would like to keep as much of the stock sheet metal as possible.

Last edited by Rsmach1 (4/13/2014 8:09 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.