FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2014 7:36 PM  #1

How to convert a 68 manual brake bracket to power

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I've got a question.  I'm converting my 68 coupe to power brakes.  I've already got the parts I need, but I've found that my brake bracket doesn't have the upper hole to mount a power brake pedal.  Does any one know the hole size and position?  Do I need to add additional metal to re-inforce the bracket around the new holes?

Thanks!

4/12/2014 8:18 PM  #2

Re: How to convert a 68 manual brake bracket to power

I have a template I can email you. What booster and pedal did you get.  Every aftermarket pedal I ship has to be modified before I sell it or they won't fit properly.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2014 8:49 AM  #3

Steve

I bought the booster kit from Dennis at CSRP.  It's the clamp style booster and a manual brake pedal.  Does this help?

4/14/2014 9:37 AM  #4

Rats... I should have made Dennis answer that one !! 

The pictures I sent you show the hole and the requirements to get the pedal to actually fit.  Right out of the wrapper, it is not going to fit even if you had the holes due to the top of the pedal being too long.  Another thing to check is to be sure the foot pad support plate top edge is parallel to the pivot tube at the top.  They rarely are, and if you just bolt it in, the foot pad will sit tilted to one side or the other.

When you buy parts from MustangSteve, all the stuff like that is already corrected before the parts are shipped out.  Top of pedal is trimmed. Bushings are fitted properly, and the foot pad contact plate is corrected so everything fits like it should when the customer installs it.  But, at least you will have something to do the day you install all of it !

Be sure you trim the firewall per the template on my FAQ page BOOSTERS AND BRAKE PEDALS before you try to bolt up the booster or the too-small firewall hole will bind on the booster piston and make it not work right.  Hopefully you got a template with the booster.

4/14/2014 11:48 AM  #5

HA!  Don't worry.  Projects are never done!  There's plenty of opportunity in the future!

4/14/2014 11:48 PM  #6

When I did the conversion on my 68 I used a power brake pedal from a 69 car that had power brakes. My bracket had the hole at the top already drilled even though it was a manual brake 6 cyl car. Make sure you get the proper brake light switch for a power brake car. The manual brake switch won't work properly if you try to use it with power brakes.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/15/2014 12:21 PM  #7

Ron,

Thanks for the info.  I'll check and see which switch I have.  With the other parts that were mixed together before, it's hard to say which switch is on the car!

4/15/2014 8:14 PM  #8

You cannot tell which switch you have unless you have BOTH of them side-by-side.  They are identical except for the spring pressure.

I finally found the lost templates !!!!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.