FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2014 5:58 PM  #26

Re: Mustang Head lights -- Halogen question.. and update on whats going on

Gaba wrote:

just bringing this question up again .. 

I am still toiling if I wanna make my own harness or not.. I mean 50 bucks.. lol .. its money .. relays are cheap I found some on amazon.. I didnt get the idea of why use the diode in that diagram ? 
I already have an order placed on 30 and 40 amp relays.. I was gonna have to do something for my tach anywaz.. I am putting a new fuse box directly powered from the battery to keep things safe now.. switching it with a relay.. 

I am seeing this relay thing is pretty easy. SO I can build it  .. 

CJ Pony Parts has 20% off headights. Your best bet is to use  relay operated sealed beam halogens, inexpensive set up yet functional.

BUT what headlights to buy people.. my options are listed in a post above. Those are my ranges.. I cant go higher than that.. So please help me pick

Thanks

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/17/2014 9:06 PM  #27

I installed the Delta zenon lights several years ago and really like the optics and illumination. Much better than stock. I installed them with relays and run the stock original headlight switch.

3/18/2014 6:19 AM  #28

Gaba wrote:

I am still toiling if I wanna make my own harness or not.. I mean 50 bucks.. lol .. its money .. relays are cheap I found some on amazon.. I didnt get the idea of why use the diode in that diagram ? 

If the diodes you speak of are on the relay coils, they are to help protect the switch.
By the way, did moving the place where you get positive for the tach fix your problem. I was hoping you didn’t smash a new tach

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/18/2014 7:42 AM  #29

wsinsle wrote:

Gaba wrote:

If the diodes you speak of are on the relay coils, they are to help protect the switch.
By the way, did moving the place where you get positive for the tach fix your problem. I was hoping you didn’t smash a new tach

I am gonna be honest I havent been able to give it a shot with RED lead out of the battery and then rest inside the cabin. I am going to and update that thread also. Did order myself an auxilarry fuse box and supplies to wire into the cabin so tach and sound system and all can be wired off it.. I guess I should have experimented with the red lead straight first.. but OHH WELL lol.. Aux fuse box was a need anywaz. I am going to be setting up a relay for that fuse box too, so I will be able to get a little bit of that under my belt.. so ... once that is done, I will have more confidence to mess with the headl;ights. 

On the headlights, that diagram is pretty good. The one that had the diodes in it.. "EFI" I am guessing is electronic fuel injection system. ?? and also.. it says recommended changing out the wires to a 12GA or whatver to run to the headlights... how important is that.. AS far my wiring is concerned,,, The wiring up in the engine bay is pretty good.. and is holding well.. But if I wanna change it will I have to undo the harness and its covering and take out the two wires that need modding? 

WHile this diagramshows the relays installed on the drivers side. My drivers side is ful with stuff instaled.. So it will have to be switched.. lol.. So I am trying to figure that one out too . 

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

3/18/2014 10:11 AM  #30

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/18/2014 10:40 AM  #31

Thanks for the napa link

By the way up top somewhere one person mentioned painless parts head light harness. That was my plan .. But found out it is 170bucks lol

NOPE!!! I am building this stuff myself

So I ask to help again... My engine is obviously not efi. Do I still need that diode setup. Basically to buy that relay harness with inbuilt diodes?

Then the thing is all wires are 14ga.. That acceptable still?

3/18/2014 10:54 AM  #32

The Ron Francis link also provided previously by Mark in this thread http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HR-58  shows a relay setup for roughly $56 which is a lot more "painless".  Hard to beat when you look at the time you will invest to put it all together.  They have kits for single headlights (2 total) and quads so a quick phone call to them will determine the correct part to order.  The wire sizes that they would supply will be correct for the application to eliminate the guesswork.

3/18/2014 11:24 AM  #33

What diodes in what diagram are you asking about. The only diodes I know of in the headlight circuit are the ones across the relay coils to protect the head light switch. You can place these diodes across the relay coils your self or buy relays with diodes built in. If there is some other diodes you are asking about please explain.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/18/2014 11:47 AM  #34

wsinsle wrote:

What diodes in what diagram are you asking about. The only diodes I know of in the headlight circuit are the ones across the relay coils to protect the head light switch. You can place these diodes across the relay coils your self or buy relays with diodes built in. If there is some other diodes you are asking about please explain.

Yeah those diodes. I dont know if these have them inbuilt or not. This the relay and harness  I just bought. :: Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0SATHE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If not. Then I guess I will be soldering those on. I gotta go to frys and buy them .. 

AS far as the other harness was concerned. I do like the idea of DIY ... esp the fact that I control what goes down.. :D I am not an expert but I guess this is how I will be a step closer  

I just bought a 50foot of 10 gauge.. and already have some 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire. Have the relays and the connector assortment. I am first going to start with the relay mod on my  original lights. See how that pans out .. If they both work on all circuits, then I will be ordering the halogens. 

I am also doing a relay install for the auxillary fuse box. That is for my other issue (TACH ).. Once that is done, I wil also move my radio from direct from the battery to the aux fuse box. If I succeed, I dont think it should be so hard. But if That all works out. Then next will be this project. While my wiring might not lok as neat as y'all's .. All covered with electrical tape and everything. Lol.. I'll try to tuck it in as best I can. 

I'll keep y'all updated. 

4/12/2014 10:19 PM  #35

So... birthday present ... for this year.. HELLA vision head lights with H4 lamps.. and relays.. which I am going to build by myself :D 

So ... once that is done will post a pic 

4/13/2014 8:27 AM  #36

speedway motors has a harness kit.

here is the link:http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Headlight-Relay-Harness-Kit,58825.html

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

4/13/2014 9:42 AM  #37

I bought one of these on E-bay, installed easily, and works great. It was $23 and free shipping!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111289311460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

4/13/2014 11:12 AM  #38

I drew this up a couple hundred years ago.  It is very simple to do it yoursefl with $4 worth of wire and some FORD or BOSCH relays.  I would have concern about using the Chinese relays.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2014 11:30 AM  #39

Hey Steve.. I actually did wire an auxiliary Fuse box two weeks ago with a relay. Which now powers my gauge lights, tach, pertronix points and radio... So yes. Once I hade that working I am pretty sure I can splice into the original harness and install the two relays.. Just add one other wire to draw from battery ..

I already have Bosch 30/40 relays.

So..  I could just do that.. My wires in the original harness don't look that bad to be honest.

Do you think I need to run new wires for powering the lights from the relays to the bulbs..?

4/13/2014 1:38 PM  #40

Gaba wrote:

.....Do you think I need to run new wires for powering the lights from the relays to the bulbs..?.....

I sure would.  I think the factory wires are only 16 ga and they are old.  I ran new 12 ga wires, including grounds, on mine.  But, then again, I am running 90/100 watt bulbs.

This is a another reason I back fed my system.  I didn't want to butcher the factory wiring harness then abandon the wires, forward to the headlights.  I let the unmolested factory wires carry the signal from the switch to the relays, then made a seperate 12 ga harness back out to the headlights.

Last edited by boomyal (4/13/2014 1:44 PM)

4/13/2014 2:14 PM  #41

Question:

Hb2 9003
Is that very different from 9006 ...? Or h4?

How.. ? What I got is a HB2 hella visionzz I can still change the bulb in it.. So it's a seperate bulb and reflector assembly.. But wondering if the connectors are different too?

Just want to make sure..

4/13/2014 2:40 PM  #42

They are separate bulbs and they do accomodate the standard sealed beam plugs. Not sure about the variations on the bulbs.  I think at least a couple of them are identical with different designations.

Last edited by boomyal (4/13/2014 2:42 PM)

4/13/2014 3:46 PM  #43

I did not run any new wires other than a 12 volt lead to the starter solenoid.  The lights got alot brighter.  It is really easy to tap into the headlight harness on the driver side where the wire loom runs across the inner fender.  I mounted the two relays side by side right above the wire loom so I did not have to add any wire.  Of course, if your headlight wiring at the bulb receptacle end looks old and brittle, you can replace it.  Any auto parts store has replacement connections.

I am not real proud of where I mounted my relays, but I was in a hurry and it got the job done.  (please forget I just admitted that - it is not my usual modus apparandi).  I think the best place for them is behind the driver headlight inside the cavity in the fender behind the bulb.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/14/2014 4:05 PM  #44

6sally6 wrote:

Gaba.........we have a guy on here Mr. Tim  who gave me a heckuva deal on a pair of halogen headlamps with the bulbs! Ask him what they were for(car/bike/tractor?) I'd like to know also because if the bulb ever burns out......I need to know the replacement number!

you will have to contact him via email or phone as he is no longer a member here.  Not sure if reads this forum or not.  Sal, email me and I'll send you his phone number or email addy!!  ooops I mean address sorry Word POPO!!

Gaba, Bosch makes relays with the diodes built in I think mine were from a bmw or mercedes

4/17/2014 1:46 PM  #45

New headlight relay harness and halogen hella bulbs installed and working beautifully

Man ... The relay harness was well worth it... I know it was 38 bucks. But man the time and headache it saved plus the new wires powering the headlamps..

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.